Mahjong set + table

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Tom Sloper

Re:Mahjong set + table

Post by Tom Sloper » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

Pekepan wrote:If Chinatown doesn\'t work out, I\'m gonna hit up the internet shops. Hiro\'s and MahjongMart are first on my list :) Any other suggestions?
Peter
http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq/whereg.htm
4649おねがいします。

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:17 am

How´re you progressing in your search, Peter?
Pekepan wrote:I\'m still debating whether I want to force-feed the 14 kanji characters to my friends or just get an arabic set.
You could just give them a reference sheet with the numbers on - and if you see them checking it a lot during a hand you know which suit not to discard! :laugh:

I visited another city yesterday but the game shop had vanished and the Chinese shop was closed for a buying trip. Doh! I only found one set and it was unimpressive - Arabic numbers, etc.

They even put Arabic numerals on the Dots suits! Jeez. :S

Bart

Pekepan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Pekepan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 am

Barticle wrote: You could just give them a reference sheet with the numbers on - and if you see them checking it a lot during a hand you know which suit not to discard! :laugh:
Hahaha that\'s sort of the way I plan on going. I searched in Chinatown, and I found an okay set. They\'re not the cheap plastic kind you can find all over the place, but they were still only $30. They\'re the huge tiles typically used for Chinese and Hong Kong mahjong (I think). So I picked them up.

But then I wanted a nice Japanese set, so I decided to order from David\'s website. Got the mat/tiles combo! Hope it gets here soon :) I suppose that means I\'ll be following your suggestion, Bart, and force feeding them kanji to my friends :P Good thing at least one of them knows some Japanese.

It\'s been quite an adventure so far. Let\'s see how the ones I ordered do!

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Pekepan,

Thank you for the order!

I also received an enquiry about tiles for an electronic table... was that you by any chance?

I have seen tiles for electronic tables, but I\'d be reluctant to supply them because I think there is a high likelihood of them being incompatible with the table...

DH

Pekepan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Pekepan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:18 pm

hirohurl wrote: I also received an enquiry about tiles for an electronic table... was that you by any chance?
Although I was interested in an electronic table, I decided I didn\'t want one right now. I think there was someone else on this thread that was interested in Tom\'s old one. Maybe he sent you the question?

Anyways, thanks for responding to my email so quickly David! I\'m looking forward to the items :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:04 am

Good to hear you´ve got things sorted.

I´m thinking about importing a set too. I play on computer but it would be nice just to have a set - so aesthetics are crucial and I don´t want stupid numbers on there!

Might also pick up a very cheap set just to mess around with though.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Barticle,

If you are looking for good quality Japanese sets at cheaper prices, I have started posting \"one off\" mj sets and special offers on this website:

http://www.tripleclicks.com/bargains

If you head over there and type \"mahjong\" into the search field you might discover some nice surprises (depending on the \"state of play\" on any particular day)!

At the moment I think there\'s a standard set going cheap over there, a green backed set and an Akagi set going cheap too! Not to mention the comedy \"sushi mj\" set (strictly for parties).

Cheers for now!

DH

OldSchoolRPGs
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by OldSchoolRPGs » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Hello David.

Since I started looking for my own Mahjong set I have been over your site many times. I love the look and price of your sets, especially the Nintendo one which I am still eyeballing even as we speak.

My first set I ended up going for a YMI set w/ numerals on it and the more I look at it, the more Im displeased with my purchase. I\'m pretty set on buying one from your site, just not sure which one to get yet.

I really like the Nintendo one, but in all honesty I don\'t even have 3 other people that know how to play (yet) and don\'t know if its worth getting it (figured I\'d learn some friends on the YMI set so they didn\'t ruin the Nintendo one). So I\'m wondering if you could recommend one of your sets to me to get cause I\'m up in the air atm.

Cheapest I see from you is: http://www.tripleclicks.com/detail.php?item=13400 which tiles alone look better than my $100 YMI set.

But then again, if your gonna spend some money, whats the point in going cheapest? I also like the Family Set you have: http://japanese-mahjong.com/familymjset.html (link doesn\'t appear to be working) which price isn\'t too shabby at all.

So I guess, if you were in my position what would you do? :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 am

hirohurl wrote:Hi Barticle,

If you are looking for good quality Japanese sets at cheaper prices, I have started posting "one off" mj sets and special offers on this website:

http://www.tripleclicks.com/bargains
Thanks DH. I have checked your site and will do again.

I´ve managed to find a very cheap source* for a basic set so that will keep me amused for a little while. I´ll ultimately want to get a Hanafuda deck too, I think, so you´re the obvious choice. :)

*John Lewis half-price stock clearance - 17 quid in metal case, free shipping. (UK only)

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Barticle,

I just checked the set. Looks like a good deal. I like the metal case and the way they have packed the tiles.

Like most sets sold in the UK, it has the numbers in the top right corner. Let us know what the tile quality is like when you get it.

Thanks for voting me as \"the obvious choice\" for Hanafuda!

DH

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:05 am

Specifically I´d say you´re the obvious choice when ordering Japanese MJ sets and Hanafuda.

Overall I´m happy with the set, and with the free delivery which turned out to be next-day courier.

The square metal attache case with reinforced corners is cool - perhaps even a little bit James Bond. :) It has the word MAH-JONG embossed onto the lid in small text.

Set into stiff foam inside the lid are the four spare tiles, three dice (large 1 dot but all black markings) and the revolving barrel-style round wind indicator.

Under a sheet of softer foam, the tiles are packed into three layers of 48. It´s the first time I´ve properly handled a set (mmm, tactile) but I think the tiles have a good feel and sound.

They´re about 30 x 22 x 13 mm, engraved, with burgundy backs. As you might expect there are four each of flowers and seasons and no red fives. Also no scoring sticks or chips.

There are no blue markings on the Dots which looks a little odd. The 8 Dots is black and the rest are all green and red. The white dragons have the empty rectangle design but I´d probably use the spare blanks instead.

I saw from the picture that there are the accursed Arabic numbers on the corners - but I couldn´t resist a bargain! :laugh:

Oh, and it´s a good thing that I know the rules; the included instruction sheets are awful! It´s hard to imagine them making sense even before they were translated! :laugh:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:56 am

Pekepan wrote:They\'re the huge tiles typically used for Chinese and Hong Kong mahjong (I think).
I was in London yesterday and found a set at the back of a shop in Chinatown. Wow - them´s chunky!! :laugh: Then I noticed there was an even bigger set underneath it!

No Arabic numbers though. 40 pounds for large and 50 for extra large I think.

(If anyone´s interested it was at the east end of Gerrard St. It was a big open shop space but with several retailers within it. Entrances off both Newport Court and Charing Cross Road.)

Had a look in the Japan Centre too. They had four books on Go and one on Shogi but nothing about MJ. :(

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Barticle wrote:They had four books on Go and one on Shogi but nothing about MJ. :(
I assume you meant English books. Until Jenn\'s book comes out, there is no English book on Japanese mahjong. There are lots and lots of Japanese books on it.
4649おねがいします。

silent observer
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by silent observer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:37 pm

I know of at least one mahjong book in english, covering japanese mahjong as well as riichi mahjong.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:18 pm

silent observer wrote:I know of at least one mahjong book in english, covering japanese mahjong as well as riichi mahjong.
Please give its title and author.
4649おねがいします。