Saki and Riichi?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Shirluban

Re:Saki and Riichi?

Post by Shirluban » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:02 pm

With EMA rules, you start with zero point and there is no oka.
You didn\'t convert the score to the "final score" either.
So, in competition, your calculations stops after adding/subtracting the uma.

During championship we use a scoring sheet, so having a negative score after 5 minutes of play is not a problem.
If you want to use some scoring sticks/chips, feel free to start with any score you want (as long each player have the same starting score of course).

Poochy wrote:In informal play, this usually seems to mean "divide up however many point counters are available so that everybody starts with the same score, and oka nashi,"
Yes, it is.

PS: EMA\'s uma +9K/+3K/-3K/-9K is extremely low.
A uma of +20K/+10K/-10K/-20K is more common.
And the "general" starting score is 25000 or 30000, with return 30000.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Thisismich
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Thisismich » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I agree with what Tang Said in the first page of this topic.

I was actually aware of Mahjong\'s existence a long time ago and I already spotted the similarities with some western card games. Since I\'m really hooked into card games I ended up wanting to know more about it but then I already knew there were very few possibilities I could find people playing in my country (Italy), so after browsing through the rules (Chinese Official) and playing a few with 4Winds MahJong there was nothing I could do.

But I always wanted to play more.

Then I heard of this anime and, having nothing else to watch after the end of most of the animes I was watching, I decided to give it a shot.

Well, as Tang said it ended up being extremely funny (discarding all that useless fan-service, which I higly dislike in anime) and introduced me to Riichi in a fun and amusing way.

In my opinion, the \"superpowers\" they introduced in the players were done in a way sufficiently subtle not to ruin the strategic part of the game. I mean anyone who is familiar with mahjong or just card games and have a little insight on probability can see those hands are almost impossible to make and all that luck and ability to manipulate \"the flow\" of the game can\'t be done in real life, still they made the hands a little more... entertaining; I was thrilled to see how the hand was going to end and compelled to watch the next episode to see how the tournament would go on.

villadelfia
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by villadelfia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Thank you all for the detailed answers :). I\'m getting closer to knowing the rules now, the only thing I don\'t really know yet are all the yaku. But I suppose those will come with time and experience, there aren\'t really THAT many.

Anyway, I\'m off playing some mahjong fight club.

Also: learning mahjong after watching this series results in yakumania.

Though I did get me a chii toitsu, dora ni, tanyao, menzen tsumo baiman as a dealer.

Thisismich
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Thisismich » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:58 pm

villadelfia wrote:Though I did get me a chii toitsu, dora ni, tanyao, menzen tsumo baiman as a dealer.
Man, I feel like Yuuki... I\'m so bad at scoring :S I can\'t sum up to the baiman, can someone help me there?

I got:

Chii Toitsu = 2 yaku
Dora Dora = 2 fan
Tanyao = 1 yaku
Menzen Tsumo = 1 yaku

for a total of 6 fans... isn\'t that a Haneman? I am missing at least 2 fan, did you have any red tiles?

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Thisismich wrote:
villadelfia wrote:Though I did get me a chii toitsu, dora ni, tanyao, menzen tsumo baiman as a dealer.
Man, I feel like Yuuki... I\'m so bad at scoring :S I can\'t sum up to the baiman, can someone help me there?
I can\'t either.
You count is correct : haneman.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

villadelfia
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by villadelfia » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Apparently I can\'t count either. You\'re right, it was haneman.