Yakuman DS Menu Translation Help

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Aetheron
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Yakuman DS Menu Translation Help

Post by Aetheron » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:09 am

Hello all!

A couple weeks ago I tracked down a copy of Yakuman DS so I could play some Riichi on the go. While I have found a pretty good translation guide on GameFAQS for much of the game, something that remains untranslated is the set of rules pages. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to translate the rules options in the pictures that I will link to below.

Yakuman DS Rules Pages

The most important thing I am trying to do is to add all four Red Fives to the game. I know the top option on Page 2 has the kanji for \"Red\" in it, but it seems to turn on only the Red Fives of Circles. Right now it seems like both Red Five of Circles are in, but many Hanchan later I have yet to see a Red Five of Characters or Bamboo, so I know they are turned off somehow.

Thank you very much in advance!

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Yakuman DS Menu Translation Help

Post by Poochy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 am

I tried my best to translate; anything followed by a (?) means I\'m not completely sure, and any ?\'s outside of parentheses means I don\'t know.

1st picture:
Kazoe Yakuman (yakuman for 13+ han hands; I think it\'s capped at sanbaiman if turned off) - On
Paarenchan (yakuman for winning as dealer/East 8 hands in a row) - On
Kokushimusou 13-sided wait - Double yakuman
Suuanko Tanki wait - Double yakuman
Pure Chuurenpoutou - Double yakuman
Daisuushii - Double yakuman

2nd picture:
Open Reach - Off
Chiitoitsu - 25 fu
Sanrenkou (3 kotsu of consecutive numbers in the same suit, such as 1-bam 1-bam 1-bam 2-bam 2-bam 2-bam 3-bam 3-bam 3-bam. Each one can be a kan or pon, but not chi. I think it\'s worth 2 han, but I\'m not sure.) - On
Renhou - On
Daisharin (2-dot 2-dot 3-dot 3-dot 4-dot 4-dot 5-dot 5-dot 6-dot 6-dot 7-dot 7-dot 8-dot 8-dot all concealed, worth a yakuman) - On
Shiisanpuutaa (On your first turn, you have exactly one pair and no other pairs/triples/quads, and taking out one of the two tiles to form a pair, any two tiles of the same suit must be at least 3 apart. For example, if you have a 5-crak, you can\'t have any of: 3-crak 4-crak 6-crak 7-crak. Counts as a tsumo yakuman.) - On
Suurenkou (4 kotsu of consecutive numbers in the same suit. Yakuman.) - On

3rd picture:
Ryanhan Shibari (After 5 consecutive wins as East, the dealer needs two han before dora to win.) - On
Noten Bappu (The 3,000-point payment that occurs on an abortive draw) - On
??? - Off
Chombo (If you turn this on, the game will allow you to do illegal moves like declaring Reach without being tenpai or declaring ron or tsumo without having a proper hand, and will penalize you just like if you were playing Mahjong with actual tiles. I believe the Chombo penalty is equal to a tsumo mangan but with reversed payments.) - Off
Starting points - 25,000

4th picture:
Draw when all 4 players reach - On
Draw after 4th kan declared - On
Draw when all 4 players discard the same wind tile on the first turn - On
South round dealer noten (?) - Renchan (dealer remains East)
??? - On

5th picture:
Red fives - On
Wareme (player sitting behind broken wall wins/pays double) - Off
Dobon (game ends when any player loses all his/her points) - On
??Ron - On
East Wind ? - Off
Enter West (If nobody has more than a certain number of points, probably 30,000, after the South 4 round, the game continues, and the round wind becomes West.) - On

6th picture:
??? - On
Tsumo Pinfu - On
Ato-zuke (Can win with chankan, houtei, haitei, or rinshankaihou, with no other yaku) - On
Ura Dora - On
Kan Dora - On
Kan Ura Dora - On

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:57 am

It could well be that the game only has the two akapai (red fives). You might´ve seen this thread - tyblazitar got a Nintendo MJ tile set that only has two red fives.

http://www.reachmahjong.com/home/index. ... 5&id=50184

You could also have seen my thread about Mahjong Taikai IV which, despite being a Japanese game, doesn´t have any!

I took a quick look at your pics (I´ve just arrived at work and ought to do some...!) page 3, number 3 is Pao. If a player has two open dragon pungs and you discard the third colour which lets them go out with Dai San Gen later, or if they have three open wind pungs and you discard the fourth wind which they take for Dai Suu Shii, then you have to pay. If they complete the Yakuman hand by tsumo then you pay the full amount, if they win by ron off someone else then you pay half.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I forgot to say earlier - good job, Poochy! :) {karma}

I was thinking about what options might fill those gaps - and of course we´re missing the controversial Kuitan!

This is page 6, number 1. Kuitan is ari (on) hence allowing Tanyao (All Simples) on an open hand.

Also page 5, number 4 must be Double Ron - two players can win on the same discard. That first kanji looks like fuku which means \"double\". Or the two kanji could say fukusuu which means \"multiple\"?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:00 am

Some thoughts on the last few queries before I start work today...
Poochy wrote:South round dealer noten (?) - Renchan (dealer remains East)
[4.4] Mahjong Taikai IV has this option too (thanks again to Zi Rong Low for explaining it to me). When this is on, in the east round the dealer stays on if they win or are tenpai in a draw, but in the south round they stay on with a win or in any draw (i.e. whether they´re tenpai or no-ten).

[4.5] I haven´t seen it spelt with those kanji before, but this is Kuikae - the rule about whether you can/cannot call chii (meld a chow) and then immediately discard another tile that would´ve completed the set.
??Ron - On
[5.4] I think this probably is Multiple Ron since Triple Ron isn´t listed as one of the optional abortive draws. I´m guessing the game allows both Double Ron (Ryan Cha Hou) and Triple Ron (San Cha Hou), although the latter would be very rare.
East Wind ? - Off
[5.5] This is just the option to play a game with one wind-round instead of the usual two, so if this option was on then you´d get an east-only game. The final kanji is sen which means "match". I think this option is usually read as Ton Puu rather than Ton Kaze (east wind).

[5.1] Finally returning to your original query, the full text of this option is "akago pinzu (dora)" or "red fives Circles-suit (dora)" so you´ll probably only ever get the two of them. Some folks play with two Circles, others play with one in each suit and yet others use all four. It would have been so easy for Nintendo to add all three options to the game too...!

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:38 am

Thanks to poochy for getting this. Filling in what you missed:

3rd picture:
???--> Pao (off). \"Responsibility\" rule that says if someone claims (not wins) a tile off of you that ensures they get a yakuman, you have to pay half of a discard win or all of a self-draw win.

4th picture:
???-->kuigae. (on) No claiming a tile and then discarding the tile from the exact same set (mentsu).

5th picture:
??Ron --> Multiple Rons (on) This probably means that Double ron is on. It could refer to Triple Ron as well.

6th picture:
??? --> Open Tanyao.

4th picture:

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:39 am

Oh, also \"Ato-zuke\" isn\'t quite what poochy describes.