Another Pinfu question and EMA rules

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

MortenA
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Another Pinfu question and EMA rules

Post by MortenA » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 am

silent observer wrote:Morten A:
But it\'s not an actual pinfu wait. Still, I suppose you have a point.
Only if you define a pinfu wait as a double-ended wait. The actual definition of pinfu as I said is not having any minipoints in the hand (except for tsumo which you may ignore).
My point is still valid for the tenpai case though, ron2 agrees with me.
Yes I agree you are not tenpai if all you are waiting for is something of which you already have four. This is also stated in the EMA rules.

Monadology
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Monadology » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm

I don\'t see what the confusion is about regarding an open wait. If someone dropped a 6, you COULD win on it.

It doesn\'t matter that there are no more 6 tiles left when determining what completes your hand.

A wait is the structure of potentiality latent in whatever incomplete part of your hand remains. This hand is on an open wait for a 6/9 pin.

Also, am I missing something regarding the tenpai ruling:

\"A player is not considered tenpai if he is waiting only for a tile of which he already has 4. A player is still considered tenpai if all his waiting tiles are visible among the discards and declared sets.\"

\"if he is waiting ONLY for a tile of which he already has 4.\"

\"waiting ONLY\"

Clearly this hand is not waiting ONLY for a 6 to complete it, as it can win with a 9. This hand is still in tenpai.

MortenA
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by MortenA » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:16 pm

No I don\'t think you are missing anything. In the example you are clearly Tenpai since you are waiting for the 9 as well.

And I don\'t see the confusion regarding pinfu either but apparently it\'s there.

silent observer
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by silent observer » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:29 pm

\"waiting ONLY\"

Clearly this hand is not waiting ONLY for a 6 to complete it, as it can win with a 9. This hand is still in tenpai.
Reading comprehension 0? My no-ten example had nothing to do with the pinfu example.

Monadology
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Monadology » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 pm

silent observer wrote: Reading comprehension 0? My no-ten example had nothing to do with the pinfu example.
And what made you think I was addressing you specifically?

I did mis-read the post which caused my question, but that was Shirluban\'s and not yours. Regardless, the response was aimed generally at the rule and whether or not I had understood its application to the original poster\'s hand, which was irrelevant to anyone\'s particular posts.

This is clearly indicated by the fact that my post addressed no specific individual and did not quote anyone\'s post, which was a mistake, apparently, seeing as that allowed you to go about misconstruing it.

Though maybe you would have looked for an excuse to be unnecessarily condescending and acerbic anyway.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Even when having four of the same tile in your hand and it\'s your winner, if wait is open ended, it\'s still valid pinfu, as long as you have the required 4 chows and a valueless pair in the end and you\'re not furiten.

The tenpai thing is true, if you for example have 5555 in your hand and 3 sets claimed, you\'re noten. Too tired to make any other example about this.

simple as that?

silent observer
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by silent observer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 am

@Monado...something whatever
I was the one that brought the example up. You\'re correct in blaming yourself for my, maybe overly harsh, joke on your reading comprehension skills. Since I brought the example up, I quite easily \"misconstrued\", as you so eloquently put it.

I grow tired of this atmosphere; its canitude is wearing me down. I\'m not one for veteratorian insults; the kind that most everyone else use here, so I\'m sorry for using woundikins to spice up my text. No real insult was actually intended, but if you chose to take it as one, then that\'s really on you and not me. I\'m quite mulcible though, indeed I\'m almost squiriferous in nature. However, I am autoexousious and as such I will say that I will not resarciate this - I see no point in doing so for something as volgivagant as this; an issue as ficulnean as this hardly even worth getting worked up over.

But I see that people know of the little thumbs down icon. Quality usually labascate when such functions are present; much like a graocracy - nothing gets done but cloaktively uttering flosculations, with questions being rogitated. Regardless, your defedation of my so-called \"Karma\" (a quite worthless value since I am the patration of mankind) can continue if you will (and I speak here not only to Mona...something, but all of you - especially the ones responsible of pressing that little icon: continue, by all means. Prove to me that you\'re nothing but agonyclites more willing to pessundate than quaeritate as to why I say what I do (if there even is a valid reason for the decutient nature of your act).

Or something, eh?

MortenA
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by MortenA » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 am

As a side note I would like to say that I actually quite like the atmosphere here in general as compared to other fora I frequent.

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am

MortenA:

I know, seriously!

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Hum... many mis-read in this topic.
And I\'m afraid I failed to write cleary enough :(

Since Morten\'s posts seems more easy to read, and since we both say the same things here:
To make it simple: I fully aggre with Morten.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world