London Reach Mahjong

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

London Reach Mahjong

Post by HotelFSR » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Anyone in the UK want to join me in starting a London club?

We could start with a monthly meeting.

Gemma\'s article got me thinking about this...

angryostrich
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:London Reach Mahjong

Post by angryostrich » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 pm

You may want to give meetup.com a try. I started a group for the Detroit area in the US, and have managed to get a decent amount of people in the group. If I can find people in Detroit, I am sure you would be able to get some folks in London. B)

MortenA
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by MortenA » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Not that I\'m living in the UK but that sounds great.
In case you don\'t know I believe people play regularly in Guildford (I know it\'s not London but it\'s not that far).

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 am

It might be easier in a different city - have you tried Chiichester, Newcastle-´pon-Tyne or Chantabury? :laugh:

Joking aside, that meetup.com site looks good. They have 34 people looking for MJ groups in and around London, although of course they might play Chinese classical or British rules, etc.

Further to Morten´s suggestion, perhaps it would be worth contacting the people that organised the riichi tournament in Guildford? Or maybe asking in London games shops or posting an advert maybe?

I expect you´ve tried a little web research? I found this site which lists many UK clubs, although a lot of them seem to be \"U3A\" groups for retired folk!

http://www.mahjongbritishrules.com/clubs/uk/index.html

This site might be worth a look too? You can post a \"want ad\" there.

http://www.mah-jong-contacts.net/?lang=GB

I found a few online references to Imperial College London having a MJ society as well, although that might no longer be operating.

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:28 pm

You should start your own!!! Not that I could come living in deepest, darkest Devon... but you\'ll have mine and RM.com\'s full support!

One of the issues I found in the UK is that those who do know some mahjong only know Hong Kong rules or some variant and can be adverse to learning a Japanese variation.

But I bet you\'d find some luck if you posted information in the SOAS area or contacted some anime societies.

And of course, you can always send me some info and I\'ll post it up on RM.com (that goes for all and not just the UK people ;) )

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Perhaps a good way in would be through the London Japanese community... that way you´d be a lot more likely to find people who know/play/like the Riichi rule-set.

You might be able to post an advert in one of the shops in Soho (not that sort of advert in that sort of shop!) or check for community websites? You could reach (ha!) a lot of Japanese people; also non-Japanese who are into Japanese culture.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:42 am

How about local residential colleges that have anime/Japanese culture clubs? That seems to be how most people get into the game.