The Take Set - "Made in China"

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

The Take Set - "Made in China"

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 pm

I am not sure why I had not noticed it before, but on the cardboard box that contains my Take Set there are only three English words amidst all the Japanese writing:

Made in China

Yikes! I thought I was getting a set of Japanese manufacture...could it be that only the box was printed in China?

Probably not :( Here is the link to an image of the box:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/642760/mahjong

Gg

Shirluban

Re:The Take Set -

Post by Shirluban » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I already seen the same thing on my \"japanese\" Black Dragon tile set, but didn\'t noticed it on my Take set before you point it out.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm

There is no question that Japanese manufacturing standards are considered to be better than Chinese standards...the Chinese tend to be a bit sloppy with their quality control at times.

I have written of my initial impressions of my Take Set in a previous thread, and after using it extensively I\'ve noted some minor defects in the tiles - one of the eight of bams is noticeably flawed in the molding of the symbol, although it is not apparent to the casual observer.

I suppose I should ask the community if minor defects are not all that unusual in Japanese Mahjong sets in the price range of the Take.

Gg

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:42 am

I think almost all sets are produced in China? I just had a double check of all my sets and all of them appear to have been made there all with varying degree of quality.

I suspect that the quality level demanded by different markets makes a difference to what gets exported. I did see a documentary on the TV once where the Chinese workers were hand painting the plastic tiles... =S

The thing which really makes me mad is when there is a fault on the back of a tile. I can cope with very small problems with the front.

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm

gemma wrote:I think almost all sets are produced in China? I just had a double check of all my sets and all of them appear to have been made there all with varying degree of quality.

I suspect that the quality level demanded by different markets makes a difference to what gets exported. I did see a documentary on the TV once where the Chinese workers were hand painting the plastic tiles... =S

The thing which really makes me mad is when there is a fault on the back of a tile. I can cope with very small problems with the front.
Overall, my Take set is fine. It\'s fun bringing up these issues, since no wants to hear about how I bested the AI players in the Flash game after 2 rounds :)

Isn\'t a set made by a Japanese plastics company - Taiyo Chemicals Inc, I think it is. Does anyone have one of these sets and can comment on the quality? (remember - we nitpick! ;)

Gg

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Isn\'t a set made by a Japanese plastics company - Taiyo Chemicals Inc, I think it is. Does anyone have one of these sets and can comment on the quality? (remember - we nitpick! ;)

Gg
Hi Gg,

The Japanese SANGO set is made by Taiyo Chemicals, or at least it was the last time I checked.

As to WHERE it is made, I am not sure because the cardboard box is plain brown with no \"made in...\" designation.

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of Japanese manufacturing now takes place in China.

Cheers,

David H

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Speaking of checking the small print, at the weekend I came across the perfectly translated :lol: :silly: instructions that came with my cheap set.

I noticed a comment that the game is for adults only! What colourful rules are they playing?! Strip Mahjong?

(Okay, I assume it\'s a health & safety thing - children choking on tiles.)