Yakuman and Reach

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Yakuman and Reach

Post by Fat Dragon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:42 pm

I would like to ask if it makes sense to reach when you are Tenpai with a Yakuman hand.

I came across this as I was Tenpai with a Kokushi Mosou. As the \"reach\" option showed up I hit the button without thinking. It finally went this way, that I, thanks to reaching and having no control of my discards, ran into paying 12.000 pts instead of receiving 32.000 pts (I wasn\'t dealer).

As far as I see there is no reason for reaching in such a situation, is that right?

:unsure:

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Yakuman and Reach

Post by WorTeX » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Su anko tenpai is usually double pon wait, and every other yakuman hand where the end result might not be a yakuman, I\'d reach.

In cases like kokushi I wouldnt reach if it\'s obvious I\'m going for it, but I think the reach can be used some sort of a disguise, because nobody expects you to reach a surefire yakuman. I wouldn\'t start tearing my hand apart if I was tenpai for kokushi :D

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm

If you ask will you get more points for reach while in tenpai for yakuman, of course there will be no more point than normal yakuman
There is case when you are not sure if you will have suuankou (shanpon machi), but I would not reach even in that case.
For strategic reasons it depends. For example if it is beginning of game, why would you warn others about anything. Especially if its kokushi tenpai, not reaching will give you more chance for getting wanted yaochuupai. But if its later in game, depending on what was discarded you can think about reaching to change others attitude to discards.
Still in more cases (imho) its better not to reach.

Benjamin
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Benjamin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 am

It\'s generally accepted theory that if you\'re waiting on tsumori suu anko (have to self-draw to get it), you should riichi to deter other players from trying to win since you don\'t want to win by discard anyways.
Any other yakuman, I think it\'d have to be extremely situational. The only other common menzen yakuman is kokushi though, and that\'s pretty easy to read.

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for sharing your opinions. That pretty much helps me to figure out different styles of play as it\'s not so easy to get behind the thinking of a good player!

:)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm

You will certainly not reach for points.
But, if a reach can trick others, or if you want your opponents to defend and break their hand, or if one wait gives you the yakuman and the other not, you may think about reaching.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 am

I have also thought about it, but for different reason. Near the end of book #19 of Akagi, Akagi calls riichi on a hand that seems to be Kokushi Musou from the other side, but is actually no-ten. Of course I realized you won\'t get any additional points this way. But it worked anyways...

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 am

With players of that caliber, chombo should probably be made negative yakuman, rather than negative mangan.