Turning newbies into 'ok' players - list of hints?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

MashMashy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Turning newbies into 'ok' players - list of hints?

Post by MashMashy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Here\'s what I mean:

I\'m helping a fledgling mahjong club in the area get on their feet, providing playspace, tiles, etc. I\'ve taught a number how to play, but I\'m not very good at saying \'why\' certain strategies are good, and because of that, I feel they are all learning strategy through trial and error, when a couple quick pointers could help immensely.

\"perfect practice makes perfect\", as they say.

Now, I\'ve listened to all of the podcasts, but they are kinda light on \'good strategy\', or at least \'why certain decisions are made\'. Maybe someone here could help me make a list?

Here\'s what I\'ve got so far - remember, these are to someone who knows the rules, but never seems to win. Nor should they be \'in stone\' - you wouldn\'t tell someone 12 tiles into a kokushi to \'discard standalone honors\'. Just guidelines.

- Don\'t chi into your hand early on in the game unless there is no other way you could come close to completing it. There\'s four of each tile, so chances are you\'ll get your own eventually.

- When faced with a choice between discards, the one with the least tiles that can help it (center tiles vs. terminals vs. honors) should go. (example - you\'ll pair up a stray north much less often than getting a 7, 8, or 9 to go with your 9).

- Don\'t reach early on a center wait if that can be upgraded to a serial (4 _ 6 will become _34_ or _67_)

- A set of your own wind / dragons is only 1 yaku, whereas tanyao/pinfu + reach is two, so don\'t automatically sit on it and open it.

- You don\'t have to reach, especially with obvious hands (full flush).

- if someone else is reached, and you are 3-4 away from making your hand, unless it is a monster (and even then), bail.

Any others to add? (note - if you feel some of mine are wrong, please say so constructively. These kids are only learning from anime, but I could have picked up bad habits i nmy years of playing, so \'good\' advice would be well appreciated)

Also : I\'ve already looked at the Sloperama FAQ:
http://sloperama.com/mjfaq/mjfaq08.htm
(which is excellent, as always, Tom, you are the man), I\'m just wondering if there is any more \'good ideas\'. I don\'t want to give these kids bad advice and all - after all, now I have people to play MJ with other than the family again! :)

Shirluban

Re:Turning newbies into 'ok' players - list of hints?

Post by Shirluban » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm

I\'ve nothing to add right now, just some precisions:

- Don\'t chi into your hand early on in the game
There is many reasons for it:
1) A concealed hand worth more.
2) A concealed hand is more flexible.
3) When you claim a tile (chi or pon, or kan) you lock 3 of your tiles. It means you have 3 less tiles to defend.

- Don\'t reach early on a center wait if that can be upgraded to a serial (4 _ 6 will become _34_ or _67_)
Yes, true.
In the same time if you draw-discard every tile you get during several turns without changing your hand, and suddenly discard a tile from your hand to reach ... an attentive player may spot your wait.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm

The more you play the more you gain experience the more levels you get, life is just like a MMORPG.

Hints:
Keep your hand concealed, though few exceptions, making your hand open limits your hand. Opening your hand is reasonable in some situations, but basically I do things according to score, whether you need to make a big hand, or stop the game with a fast hand.

Count how much away you are and change tiles if you get one closer, or a change tile to a \"better one\" which gives you more space to move.

Play daily.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:29 am

Shirluban wrote:
- Don\'t chi into your hand early on in the game
There is many reasons for it:
The MAIN reason why you shouldn\'t jump on the first chi is that when you do that, you are committing to a course of action that you probably won\'t be able to complete.
If you make a chi, then you need to know (before you chi) what yaku you\'re going for! And it\'s better to choose a yaku without having already blundered, thus reducing your options.
- The Man (so-called)
4649おねがいします。