Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Fat Dragon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:15 am

According to EMA rules if there are 5 continuance sticks on the table 2 Yaku are needed to go out.

Let\'s say I reached but my hand isn\'t worth any other Yaku, my only chance would be Menzen Tsumo to go out without risking Chombo. Is that right?

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Sweden

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Mcgreag » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:29 am

There are a few other possibilities as well, ippatsu, haitei, rinshan, chan kan but yeah it\'s a gamble.

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Fat Dragon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 am

ahh.. I always forget about these other possibilities, \'cause I\'m so concentrated on hand points.

Like you say, it\'s getting a gamble if you go for those other options.

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Fat Dragon wrote:According to EMA rules if there are 5 continuance sticks on the table 2 Yaku are needed to go out.
As with the rest of their (otherwise excellent) guide, it should say two Han. You can go out with one Yaku if it\'s worth two Han (e.g. Toi-Toi or Chii-Toitsu).

The formal name for this rule is Ryan Han Shibari - literally a two-Han binding, restraint or restriction - or Ryan Shi for short.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:36 am
Location: Finland

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by WorTeX » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:08 pm

Agreed with Barticle, that should be clarified in the rules. I\'ve been having problem with this thanks to my streaks of luck while being dealer.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Hiroshima, Japan
Contact:

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by hirohurl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Nice clarification of han/yaku.

I\'ve never seen anybody go riichi in ryanshi just on a gamble of getting a lucky second han from a tsumo/ippatsu/etc... Is it legal? Is it sane?

I ask because it wouldn\'t be accepted in our 3-player game (where we elevate to ryanshi on the fourth...)...

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Barticle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:22 am

The Han/Yaku thing has propagated to the USPML now... Their new reference sheet gives Haneman as 6-7 Yaku (etc).

I don\'t like to critize Tina\'s work because, with so few thorough English sources on the web, the EMA rulebook is hugely useful to anyone seeking to learn the Japanese rules. Certainly when I was learning the game it was a constant source of reference for me.

However it\'s precisely because there are so few English guides that\'s it\'s vital for it to be correct.

User avatar
Tom Sloper
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Tom Sloper » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Barticle wrote:The Han/Yaku thing has propagated to the USPML now
Propagated to the what now?
OK, found the site. Who is that?
4649おねがいします。

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am
Location: Sweden

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Mcgreag » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Fat Dragon wrote:ahh.. I always forget about these other possibilities, \'cause I\'m so concentrated on hand points.

Like you say, it\'s getting a gamble if you go for those other options.
I actually got a Riichi, Ippatsu, Menzen Tsumo, Haitei hand yesterday :)

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 am
Location: Frankfurt/Germany

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Fat Dragon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 pm

@Mcgreag

Congratulations! That\'s the full program!
:cheer:

silent observer
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by silent observer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:42 pm

I don\'t like to critize Tina\'s work because, with so few thorough English sources on the web, the EMA rulebook is hugely useful to anyone seeking to learn the Japanese rules. Certainly when I was learning the game it was a constant source of reference for me.

However it\'s precisely because there are so few English guides that\'s it\'s vital for it to be correct.
Wasn\'t the reference sheet stolen from elsewhere though, which is why EMA can\'t change it, since they don\'t have the original? Otherwise it wouldn\'t really be that hard to fix.
The Han/Yaku thing has propagated to the USPML now... Their new reference sheet gives Haneman as 6-7 Yaku (etc).
I think it\'s funny! But, rules-wise, it doesn\'t actually make for much of a difference. If they say they have a two-yaku minimum, any yaku that, in their list, is worth 2 yaku (god) would make the hand legal. It\'s a silly mistake that should be fixed, obviously, but when even people on these boards made the mistake until it was pointed out, I can definitely see that rooting out the evil of it will take some work.

Luckily, your ever vigilant poindexter will work extra hard on this.

User avatar
Shirluban
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Svartalfheim
Contact:

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Shirluban » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 pm

Mcgreag wrote:I actually got a Riichi, Ippatsu, Menzen Tsumo, Haitei hand yesterday :)
Ippatsu AND Haitei?
You\'re not allowed to declare riichi with less than 4 tiles in the wall.

silent observer wrote:Wasn\'t the reference sheet stolen from elsewhere though, which is why EMA can\'t change it, since they don\'t have the original? Otherwise it wouldn\'t really be that hard to fix.
How do you put the EMA logo on it without having the original?
How do you make versions in English, Danish, French and more without the original?
How did you give the original LaTeX files to translators without the original?

No it\'s not hard to change one version. But it\'s not easy to change each translation and many players will be afraid of change.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

User avatar
Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:20 am
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by Gamegrunt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Shirluban wrote:

You\'re not allowed to declare riichi with less than 4 tiles in the wall.
Wow, another rule (that I have been blissfully unaware) to share and observe. When will it end? :angry:

Gg (Riichi Mahjong player, 3rd Class)

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:36 am
Location: Finland

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by WorTeX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Shirluban, lets say you draw the 5th tile while south, and riichi with it, west draws 4th, north draws 3rd, east draws 2nd last, and you draw the last tile :)

User avatar
b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm

Re:Dealer continuance & 5 sticks

Post by b4k4ni04 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 am

Yeup, ippatsu and haitei. For reference see Saki and teh Koromo being a cheap haxxor. D: hand inflation from riichi-ippatsu-tsumo-haitei.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Post Reply