unwinable riichi

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

unwinable riichi

Post by chalwa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 am

I cant find source now (didn\'t look thoroughly yet), but as far as I remember there is rule that when you declare riichi, but all the tiles you are waiting on are visible = you know that you dont have possibility to get them (for example you wait for only 7p but all are in someone\'s kantsu) your riichi is not valid (and you will get chonbo when its revealed). But just now I done it on tenhou and I get even points when it ended in ryuukyoku:
http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2010022419gm-0 ... 8eed3&tw=3
(last game, riichi made near the end)
So I wonder if this rule is common. Anyone have info on this? (I will look where I have read about it, but just cant remember now)

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:unwinable riichi

Post by Mcgreag » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:14 am

As far as I know it\'s only invalid if you are waiting for a tile that doesn\'t exist. Ie you already have 4 of the tile in your hand and are waiting for the 5th.

Dead waits are ok.

In the anime Saki one of the characters who is know for always doing bad waits intentionally does a dead wait riichi to scare her opponents.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

even when someone has made a kan of 5-bam and 8-bam , and your hand is ready waiting with 6-bam 7-bam, you are considered tenpai.

If those kans for example are made after your riichi, it would be stupid for your ready valid hand to magically turn into chombo without possibility of winning.

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks Mcgreag, it looks like I misunderstood this rule. Its chombo when I wait for 5th tile (I must have those 4 tiles), but dead wait is ok.

Wortex, of course I didnt mean kans made after riichi is made. If you would look into log I posted, you would see I mean when all tiles needed are exposed before making riichi = so you have dead wait and make riichi = its just stupid, but I missed that fact.

Thanks for answers.

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am

Well, according to the rules we play by, a tenpai hand with all possible finishing tiles discarded/revealed does not qualify for a tenpai reward in games that end with no winner, but nor is it penalized (i.e. no chombo).