Why isn't this Suu an Kou?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Linsolv
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Why isn't this Suu an Kou?

Post by Linsolv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 pm

I\'ve been playing Riichi for a few weeks now, and I\'m finally trying to really get the yaku memorized, instead of my vague recognition of Ii Pei Kou and Tanyao..

So I\'m going through the \"Yaku Quiz\" in the web.

It showed this hand:

Concealed:
9-dot 9-dot 9-bam 9-bam green-dra green-dra green-dra 2-dot 2-dot 2-dot 2-dot :north :north :north :north

winning on ron: 9-dot

That looks to me like Suu an Kou (4 concealed pon). Why isn\'t it?

(The quiz declared that it was NOT Suu an Kou, but instead Hatsu, Riichi, Toitoi, and San an Kou.)

(screenshot)

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Why isn't this Suu an Kou?

Post by WorTeX » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

When declaring ron, the set which needed the last tile is considered open. With double pair wait, you can only self draw su anko, otherwise it only will be toitoi+san anko.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:26 pm

For determining whether a set is open or closed, especially for the last set. If it is acquired by ron, it is open, if acquired by self-draw (tsumo) it is closed.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:10 am

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle.

Now all you have to decide is the next time you get it, are you willing to give up the yakuman chance and Ron off of it ^_^

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:02 pm

I agree with that, but. Can you answer me a thing?
How do you Ron other Yaku as Honroutou or Chii toitsu (seven pairs). If you do as you say you can´t Ron that. But you can. And Honroutou will not have it´s Han reduced by 1 if no set it´s exposed but you Ron with it.
If you can Ron that you always win 1 Han more for Menzen Tsumo (perfecly closed hand). But sometimes you win with those hands and you don´t earn that Yaku...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Mcgreag » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 pm

You have to make a distinction between concealed hand and concealed set.

When you win on a discard the hand is considered concealed (if the rest of the and is concealed of course) but the set that is completed is considered open for scoring purposes (both han and fu).

In the case if Chitoitsu and Honroutou (for extra yaku) the condition is that the hand is concealed while for suuankou the condition is that the four sets are concealed. The pair is allowed to be open.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 am

Thank you! now I see it more clear.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.