Hello! (And about buying a riichi-set in Tokyo)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Roxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Hello! (And about buying a riichi-set in Tokyo)

Post by Roxo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:39 am

I actually have that game! But just rushed through Koi-koi in stamp mode at the time that I got it. No I play it from time to time on the subway, quite nice to be able to play a few hands and then put it down.

Can\'t say that I\'m able to do the same with Mahjong FIght Club DS =P

And don\'t worry, a review is coming up as soon as I can get my hands on set =)

/Offtopic: Does anyone have a resource for 3 player Hanafuda game rules? I only know Koi koi :blush:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Hello! (And about buying a riichi-set in Tokyo)

Post by Barticle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 am

Roxo wrote:I play it from time to time on the subway, quite nice to be able to play a few hands and then put it down.

Okay, cool. Yes, it\'s quite well presented and the tags that indicate partial (I can\'t help but use the word "tenpai"!) and complete yaku are a useful aid. The touchscreen interface is nice too.
/Offtopic: Does anyone have a resource for 3 player Hanafuda game rules? I only know Koi koi :blush:
According to the following site you can play Koi-Koi with up to five players but only two are active in any given hand.

http://www.hanafuda.com/koi-koi-rules

Of course there aren\'t enough cards in the deck to play with more than two players at the same time, and it would be a lot harder to make yaku too.

This next site has rules for several different games, including some 3P ones.

http://hanafubuki.org/rules.html

Roxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Hello! (And about buying a riichi-set in Tokyo)

Post by Roxo » Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks Barticle for the Hanafubuki link!
Very useful, especially since my friend managed to bring home Kabufuda instead of Hanafuda, but from looking at the boxes I can't say I blame him.
They are frickin' identical except for a very small kanji :P

After trying out Oicho-Kabu a bit (non of the present were really gambling enthusiasts) my girlfriend and I made our on Koi-Koi variant with Kabufuda. Quite enjoyable but not as complex. I've been thinking about posting the rules if anyone is interested.
My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of buying myself a present in the form of a junkmat from Hirohurl and then I might throw in a hanafuda deck at the same time.

And now finally!
The Mahjong set that recently came into my possession is great! A few paint blemishes but nothing major.
The scoring sticks are what I expected, the plastic haven't been sanded down around the edges where they were connected in the mold.
I haven't been able to find out who made the set yet but I'm going to do some research and I might be able to update that point.
It's a bit smaller than my other set (one that I've borrowed from my parents) as it should be, and I like the smaller size! They are so much easier to handle.
The tiles have rounded backs, which for me and my girlfriends amateur hands, makes wall building just a little trickier. But the added thickness helps on the other hand.
Now I have to sleep, I will hopefully continue tomorrow with some pictures and manufacturer and so on.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help earlier in the thread it's very much appreciated.

/a happy Roxo

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Happy to help with the link. :)

Yeah, Oicho-Kabu is pretty simplistic - it's just basic probabilities really.

I'd be interested to hear your own rules for Koi-Koi with Kabufuda. I guess you treat each number as a suit (easier than matching some of those funny pictures!) and make up your own yaku? With the forty cards in the deck you have just enough to play a full round with two players!

Great to hear you're happy with your new tile-set - your friend redeemed himself after the mix-up with the cards! I look forward to seeing some pictures.

We've had a few cases on the forum of a rough finish on scoring sticks. I'm thinking the manufacturers are either counting on buyers being so happy with their tiles that they don't care about getting cheaply made sticks or they deliberately make/leave them a little rough to encourage people to buy a separate set of fancy sticks - made by the same plastics company I assume! :|

Roxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Roxo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm thinking the manufacturers are either counting on buyers being so happy with their tiles that they don't care about getting cheaply made sticks or they deliberately make/leave them a little rough to encourage people to buy a separate set of fancy sticks - made by the same plastics company I assume! :|
You are problably right!

Sadly I've lead a busy life despite being unemployed at the moment and haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet. But soon! =)

I will also try and comprise the rules for "Kabu-koi" =P But I will post them in the everything else section. =)