Pinfu and Menzen Tsumo

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Pinfu and Menzen Tsumo

Post by Ignatius » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:45 pm

As far as I know the original rules of Pinfu does not allow to win with Pinfu and Menzen Tsumo(fully closed hand).

But I´m wondering wich is more common now, the old style that don´t allow the mix of Pinfu and Menzen Tsumo, or the new one wich allows the Pinfu + Menzen Tsumo as a value of 2 Han and 20 Fu (minipoints)?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Shirluban

Re:Pinfu and Menzen Tsumo

Post by Shirluban » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Where did you hear that \"original rules\" didn\'t allow pinfu + menzen tsumo?
I\'ve never heard of it. Never. Not in every rules I know.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:00 pm

I´ve read it some japanese webs about riichi mahjong.

Found in webs as the wikipedia or http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~cbm15900/html/y2.html

And more japanese webs.

And this web says that in some rules (talking about old ones) only with Ron, Pinfu comes to existence, if you Tsumo, Pinfu does not come to be.

Your post gave me an answer, Mr./Msr. Shirluban. Thanks!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by WorTeX » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:28 pm

I think SNES-game Mahjong Taikai (or something like that) had that rule, but I don\'t think the modern rules use or mention it.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:01 am

OK, Thanks to both of you!

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 am

Interesting variation. First time i\'ve ever heard of it too. I guess it went hand and hand with the open tanyao which i\'m assuming used to be a no-go too.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:21 am

With this rule you can only win with tsumo if you obtain other Yaku wich allow it, except for menzen tsumo.

I remember this is how the old Pinfu worked. But I´m not sure right now.

Ruro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Ruro » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:21 am

that would really break the game (at least for me). Going for men-tan-pin and getting nothing but a chombo would be just sad.
Also i did a quick research and you got this backwards :D http://mahjong.wikidot.com/pinfu
\"Some variations restrict pinfu to be completed only on a self-drawn tile (tsumo pinfu)\"
So according to this you only get pinfu with some old rule-sets instead of menzen and pinfu. Or maybe you still get those? Damn old rules are confusing, let\'s thank heavens that we got our modern ruleset.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Indeed. Sometimes riichi mahjong gets too confusing. A lot of optional rules, old rules...

Johnstonjamese
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Johnstonjamese » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I just hope one day they balance the scoring a bit more. I\'d love to see Ryan pei ko, San anko, and san shoku doko all bumped up a han to make them auto mangans.

Poochy
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Poochy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:42 am

I believe what the OP is talking about is:

Standard Riichi rules say that pinfu + menzen tsumo is 20 fu, 2 han.
Some play with an optional rule that pinfu + menzen tsumo is 30 fu, 1 han, which would be the same as if you didn\'t count the pinfu.

This is actually a rule option on Mahjong Fight Club DS\'s unranked mode (and possibly the other CS versions as well).