Chankan and Haitei (Tsumo or Ron) and...

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Chankan and Haitei (Tsumo or Ron) and...

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Can I mix Chankan (kan steal) with Hatei (last tile), Tsumo or Ron?

I know tha last tile win on tsumo is Haitei Raouyui an winning on last tile ron is called Houtei Raoyui. But I know too that both are called Haitei.

I have another question. When the game starts you´re given 25,000 points, and you must obtain at least 5,000 points more to be able to win. So there are 4 players that amount is 20,000 point.
This amount of 20,000 points is always given to the winner?

It´s different of the concept called Uma?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Shirluban

Re:Chankan and Haitei (Tsumo or Ron) and...

Post by Shirluban » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Ignatius wrote:Can I mix Chankan (kan steal) with Hatei (last tile), Tsumo or Ron?
You can NOT kan the last tile. So you can NOT win on its replacement tile.
1) When the game starts you´re given 25,000 points, 2) and you must obtain at least 5,000 points more to be able to win.
1) You start with 25000 or 27000 or 30000 (or lower) depending on the local rule.
At the end of the game, the winner get the difference between 4x30000 and 4 times the starting amount. It\'s called the oka.

For example, if you start with 27000 points per player, the winner will have 12000 extra points (30000 - 27000 = 3000 for each 4 players).

If you start with 30000 points par player, the winner will get nothing.

2) Some variations say you must have 30000 points to win, or the game continues with a West round.
Other variations says it\'s ok to win and end the game with less than 30000 points.
It´s different of the concept called Uma?
Yes, with uma the 3rd and 4th players loose points and give them the the 2nd and 1st players.
With the oka, the players don\'t loose points, only the winner\'s points change.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Ok, thanks!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 am

Shirluban wrote:
Ignatius wrote:Can I mix Chankan (kan steal) with Hatei (last tile), Tsumo or Ron?
You can NOT kan the last tile. So you can NOT win on its replacement tile.
Close Shirl. (Do you mind if I abbreviate your user name as such?) You seem to be warning against stacking Rinshan and Haitei.

But you\'re still on the right track:
As you CANNOT call a Kan with the last tile, this includes promoting an open pon to a Kan.

Thus, the situation for ChanKan and Haitei to stack never exists.

In the case of Haitei and Rinshan, one cannot Kan with the last tile, and a replacement tile for calling a Kan cannot be drawn. Thus the two cannot stack.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 pm

b4k4ni04 wrote:Close Shirl. You seem to be warning against stacking Rinshan and Haitei.
Ah! My bad!
I mis-read "Chankan" and talk about "Rinshan" :side:

I would have better said "Players can NOT kan the last tile. So you can NOT win by stealing it."

Thanks!

b4k4ni04 wrote:(Do you mind if I abbreviate your user name as such?)
(No, I don\'t mind.)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world