the Akahai (Red 5 tiles)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

the Akahai (Red 5 tiles)

Post by azn86.jedi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi, all. I\'m new to reachmahjong.com but I\'ve been self studying Riichi mahjong for a couple of months trying to get my head around it.

I usually play some variation of Singaporean mahjong with friends, so it was easier for me to grasp certain concepts in riichi mahjong.

I do have a question regarding the 4 red 5 dora tiles that can be used in riichi mahjong.

Are those 4 tiles played as additional tiles-in that on top of the normal 136 tiles you add the four? Or do 4 tiles corresponding to the 4 red tiles replaced instead to maintain 136 tiles in play?

thanks all

(I apologise if this is a repeat topic)

Mcgreag
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:the Akahai (Red 5 tiles)

Post by Mcgreag » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 pm

They replace existing tiles. The number of red 5s varies between different rulesets. Some have none, some have 2, 3 or 4.

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:40 pm

The main reason why there are 4 of them is that that\'s the number that nicely fills out the tiles in the container, and that\'s a pleasing number because this way there are 4 of everything.

But the usual/preferred use is to use only 3 of them (one per suit), substituting for a normal-colored five.
4649おねがいします。

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Thanks Tom and Mc, that certainly clears things up.:blush:

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 am

Dora are not yaku! Repeat: Dora

are not yaku - only han!!!

Gg

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 am

Erm...Gg

I AM well aware that dora are not yaku, nor do they fulfill the 1 han requirement of hands in order to go out on a win.

thanks for the reminder though... I wish you didn\'t use such big font size...=x

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Tom Sloper wrote:But the usual/preferred use is to use only 3 of them (one per suit)
Certainly playing with four gives that odd bias between the suits.

Gg - surely your Take set red 5\'s inset with genuine ersatz diamonds must give yaku?! ;)

hirohurl
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by hirohurl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Only until the diamondo falls out... :)

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:44 pm

For now, the faux diamonds are affixed to their tiles, but if I ever get to slapping those tiles down like the big boys in Tokyo, they might be jarred loose!

Please forgive the large fonts - I get carried away sometimes. I will need to adjust my level of self-medication (maybe not so much scotch with an equal volume of tonic water will be more better.)

Gg

azn86.jedi
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by azn86.jedi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

oooo the scotch and tonic water does explain why you get carried away sometimes :woohoo:

I was thinking the same thing about the diamonds in the tiles i see in some of the sets in David\'s mahjong goods page.

I can only assume it\'s being held onto the tile with nothing more than adhesive...

I have a tendancy to slap tiles down too...one of the flower tiles in my chinese set has a crack in it... either from slapping or someone dropping the tile on the floor....

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 am

In the Washizu tile set, the red fives are: one of opaque red 5pin, one of transparent red 5pin, one of transparent red 5sou, one of transparent red 5man. The flowers are also: one opaque flower and three transparent flowers. (Washizu mahjong normally uses neither red fives nor flowers, but they are available)

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:58 pm

zzo38 wrote:In the Washizu tile set, the red fives are: one of opaque red 5pin, one of transparent red 5pin, one of transparent red 5sou, one of transparent red 5man. The flowers are also: one opaque flower and three transparent flowers. (Washizu mahjong normally uses neither red fives nor flowers, but they are available)
I don\'t know about all that, but I would say that my set, like the current U.S. administration, is totally lacking in transparency. :ohmy:

Gg

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Try buying from http://www.1kawaya.com. I have never bought transparent tiles from them, but from their pictures, it seems that they are quite serious about the quality of their transparent tile set.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Robert wrote:Try buying from http://www.1kawaya.com. I have never bought transparent tiles from them, but from their pictures, it seems that they are quite serious about the quality of their transparent tile set.
They have a lot of different sets, with many different customizations. They even sell gold tiles, and detachable tables, and a set of common dice for role-playing games (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d%), and dice with Roman numerals, and various other things.

Here is the link for the Washizu mahjong: http://www.1kawaya.com/mj/p-wasizu.html

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:28 am

What the heck is going on here?!

There\'s a \"season\" version of the suit 1\'s and North, and a 10 in each of the suits too! :blink:

http://www.1kawaya.com/mj/linkgraph/images/rei-01.jpg