Scoring calculation (Menzen-kafu and Pinfu + more)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Menzen-kafu and Pinfu

Post by Barticle » Wed May 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Kira wrote:Katakana is a pain because of the similar looking characters.
Funny - I feel the same way about hiragana! :laugh: Probably because I started picking up katakana first since they get used a lot in video-games.
First though I will probably try to barter with a mahjong table dealer from New Jersey, hehe.
Ooh! Traditional or mechanical auto-shuffler?

Kira
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re:Menzen-kafu and Pinfu

Post by Kira » Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 pm

Mechanical, of course. Hehe. I\'m a web designer and I imagine if a dealer that lives in short driving distance of Atlantic City, NYC, and Philly has any wits, they would want a website that would easy recoup the cost of a table.

I have a table in my living room that needs some help too, so I will probably turn that into a more traditional like mahjong table with some handiwork. I am imagining at the very least a felt/similar surface and then trim the top edges with wood. I\'m still trying to figure out how I would make it so I could easily replace the felt if need be down the road... The best idea I have is to put the felt on a thin slab of wood that fit snugly in the wood trim.

I was poked fun at last weekend because I\'m so into mahjong. \"I\'ve never heard of girls playing mahjong.\" Hehe they can deal. I wasn\'t keeping track of score while I was teaching them, but I did get a baiman. >.>

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Re:Menzen-kafu and Pinfu

Post by Barticle » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Kira wrote:[...]I\'m a web designer and I imagine if a dealer that lives in short driving distance of Atlantic City, NYC, and Philly has any wits, they would want a website that would easy recoup the cost of a table.
I see! Those autodealers are pretty expensive (esp with shipping costs) but I guess so are web designers' hourly rates! :lol:
Kira wrote:I have a table in my living room that needs some help too, [...] I\'m still trying to figure out how I would make it so I could easily replace the felt if need be down the road... The best idea I have is to put the felt on a thin slab of wood that fit snugly in the wood trim.
Sounds like a good way to do it as long as it's a good fit. If the outer trim/frame is taller than the slab of the playing surface within then players can use the straight edge of the lip when building their section of the wall.
Kira wrote:[...]but I did get a baiman. >.>
Ha! You showed them. :)

BTW veering off topic again, I was thinking at the weekend that I should've mentioned another handy DS cartridge for language students. I imported a Japanese dictionary called Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten which is really cool. You can use the touchscreen to input kanji, kana or letters (and it has on-screen keyboards for kana and letter input too). It's made for the Japanese market (as you might've guessed from the title!) but there's a Japanese-to-English mode which'll give the English word for a translation, although the rest of the definition will be in Japanese.

Here's an English demo I found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2McMUatkYM

Esh
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Scoring calculation (Menzen-kafu and Pinfu + more)

Post by Esh » Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 am

Actually: Question

I was under the impression that Pinfu hands had special scoring. You get no points on a tsumo for pinfu, and you get only 2 points for a Ron so it rounds up to 30 points, so you don't wind up with 1 han 20 fu. I know it adds up all the same, but has anyone else heard that?

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Fri May 25, 2012 3:45 pm

I have heard of that, but it was in a random mahjong guide posted by someone just a few days ago. I'm pretty sure it's nonsense. +10 fu for closed ron is completely standard. Some people already dislike the pinfu-tsumo exception, I can't see them adding another one.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 am

I used Barticle's method to calculate the Uma in this article:

http://a.pqrs.se/wiki/Final_scores

Personally, I am convinced that the math is correct per Barticle's book. However, I read documentation that Tenhou.net does (+30/+10/-10/-30).

http://tenhou.net/man/index.html

So, what did I do wrong here?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 am

This short cut only applies to the distribution of (+20/+10/-10/-20).
And for a starting amount of 25,000. But the idea remains for other spreads and starting amounts, you just have to calculate your shortcut numbers beforehand.

Regarding your question, I don't see what's wrong, but it's not your math. Those results seem to be awarded +20/+10 uma.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm

The typical point spread uses (+20/+10/-10/-20)
There is no "typical" uma.

WRR: +15/+5/-5/-15
EMA: +30/+10/-10/-30 (was +9/+3/-3/-9 until 2012)
JPML A: see below
JPML B: +15/+5/-5/-15 (was +30/+10/-10/-30)
Nihon Pro Mahjong: +30/10/-10/-30 (plus oka=20, the other rules I've listed here have a 0 oka)
Saikouisen: +30/+10/-10/-30
Saikouisen Classic: +12/+4/-4/-12
Real Mahjong Unit: +15/+5/-5/-15
Korean Mahjong League: +20/+10/-10/-20
USPML: +30/+10/-10/-30
Club Riichi de Montréal: 0/0/0/0

JPML A's uma depends on how many players are "positive" (>=30k) or "negative" (<30k):
1 player positive: +12/-1/-3/-8
2 players positive: +8/+4/-4/-8
3 players positive: +8/+3/+1/-12
all players negative: +8/+4/-4/-8
6. Round to the nearest integer. If the division result produces a digit of 0.5, then the number is rounded down.
I don't think the rounding method is consistent from one place to another.
Also, I'm pretty sure some organizations don't round at all.
Shortcut
I think your tables are confusing ; they mix computation results with new data without a clear distinction of which is what.
Tie-breaker
At least JPML, EMA and WRR don't use this method, but split the uma equally.
E.g. with a uma of +15/+5/-5/-15, tying for 1st and 2nd will give a +10/+10/-5/-15 uma.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Shirluban wrote:rounding method
The massive list of rule options for the PS3 game Mahjong Haoh: Dankyuu Battle 3 includes six different options - no rounding / always round down / always round up / round 4 down and 5 up / round 5 down and 6 up / round down to kaeshiten.

PS Several of my video-game guides include a section with worked examples of "final scores" calculations with the various rule settings available in each game, i.e. different uma, rate, buy-in, starting score, bust penalty, yakitori penalty, tips, side-bets and two/three/four players.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Well, I misread Tenhou.net's documentation; and it is indeed 20/10.