About the Pao Rule

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: About the Pao Rule

Post by or2az » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:54 pm

In the section about the Pao rule in Scott Millers' new book, He describes 8 conditions under which this rule is applied, 6 of which are yakuman hands. The 7th is the one regarding rinshan kaihou which we previously had a nice discussion about and the 8th concerns Chinitsu. That's my question.
I understand the theory behind the liability payments and that the rule is optional.

Bart states above that "Dai San Gen and Dai Sū Shii are the standard ones but the rule can optionally be extended to Sū Kantsu, Tsūiisō (all honours), Chinrōtō (all terminals) and even Ryūiisō (all green), any yakuman that can be played open, basically."

Senechal states that "The only one that isn't covered at all in Riichi is chinitsu (full flush). I think that's a Hong Kong only thing, that if you've made 4 open melds (123 222 567 999) of the same suit, in HK style, whoever threw the tile to make the 4th meld would be liable under the same rule to pay half in case of another's ron, or everything in case of tsumo, but I have never heard it applied to Riichi ever."

I haven't either, until now, so I am curious. Does Chinitsu fall under the Pao rule, even optionally?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 pm

The one certainty in mahjong is that most rule options exist somewhere...! Chinitsu is a valuable yaku that can be played open so it's a viable candidate.

The Pao article on Wikipedia Japan gives Dai San Gen, Dai Sū Shii and Sū Kantsu as the primary examples and lists various video-games which mostly apply all three, just the first two or none at all.The Pao page on the optional rules wiki doesn't mention Chinitsu but this long list of rule options does include it for Pao (search on "包") .

Pao can also be applied to the rare optional yakuman Ii Sō Sū Shun (four identical chows) which is almost a flush!
pow!.jpg
pow!.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 3835 times

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Nice picture! Jenn calls it the POW rule in her book. I used that in my description to the ladies; "POW! the idiot is responsible and pays the price".
I wonder if there is a ZAP! rule (if you're familiar with Adam West Wind)
isock2.jpg
isock2.jpg (15.82 KiB) Viewed 3828 times