New from YMI

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

New from YMI

Post by Gamegrunt » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:38 pm

http://www.ymimports.com/p-1016-japanes ... tiles.aspx

I have no need for another set, but if I was in the market, a $70 delivered Riichi set (distributed in the U.S.) that is white and yellow with Japanese style (rather than Chinese) graphics would be something I would consider. I don't doubt that it is not quite as nice as my Take Set (the one bam tile is an indicator) but it replicates the Japanese style more authentically than the YMI Riichi sets formerly available. There is also an all black set available in the same style.

Gg

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: New from YMI

Post by Barticle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 am

Hey Gg! It's been a while. Good to see you back on the forum. :)

This looks very much like my Sango set, the tile markings are pretty much identical. The accessories are all different though.

YMI have recently started listing white and black Japanese sets on eBay so I wondered if these would be the same but they're not. Perhaps they're clearing out their old stock there to make way for the newer (and nicer) sets.

Of course there's one important question to ask of YMI tiles: do they smell funny? :lol:

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Bart! It's nice to have something newsworthy to add to the forum. I've played a lot of two player Riichi with my wife. Sadly, the couple we've often played mahjong with in the past (and the only opportunity we've had to play four player) have been enduring a medical crisis - the woman in the marriage is fighting cancer which might well be terminal.

I'm beginning to explore the Zung Jung system as well as a nice expansion of the scoring in Mhing.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1 ... -mhing-doc

There might well be an odor issue with the sets offered by YMI as the Vietnamese set I purchased from them last year had an plastic/chemical odor that is frequently talked about, not only with mahjong sets but other game's components as well that are of Chinese manufacture. The smell does subside over time and leaving the tiles in the open air for a few days will expedite the deodorization of the set.

The black set is very tempting, but I must stay my online purchasing fingers! :cry:

Gg

Rosti
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Rosti » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:51 pm

For anyone in the UK looking for a good riichi set, this one on Amazon is probably the best value, at only £33 inc. shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mah-jong-set-Or ... 744&sr=8-6
Cambridge University Riichi Mahjong Society - anyone living in or around Cambridge welcome to attend

burke
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by burke » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Rosti wrote:For anyone in the UK looking for a good riichi set, this one on Amazon is probably the best value, at only £33 inc. shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mah-jong-set-Or ... 744&sr=8-6
I have one of those sets. The thick, bright red, backs of the tiles are pretty garish, but otherwise it's an OK set, similar to actual Japanese sets. I had some problems with many of the tiles bearing distinguishing marks and blemishes, but the seller (Witzig's) replaced them without any fuss.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 am

Gamegrunt wrote:Sadly, the couple we've often played mahjong with in the past (and the only opportunity we've had to play four player) have been enduring a medical crisis
Sorry to hear it.
The black set is very tempting, but I must stay my online purchasing fingers! :cry:
Luckily my fingers are under control. Never really been a fan of the black tiles ...which, oddly enough, is also the name of a local pub!
burke wrote:(Witzig's)
I contacted them around this time last year. The guy said that they normally have that set in stock and they ship worldwide (with a corresponding increase in shipping costs of course).

He also described a couple of more fancy sets which they were intending to carry from September (2009) but that seems not to have happened. Either that or they've been and gone, I guess! Also I imagine they were Chinese, not Japanese.

PS In other news, I'm very pleased to be able to (unofficially) announce that last night I finally finished writing my new guide to the rules and terminology of Japanese mahjong! :D Stay tuned for my formal announcement when the PDF is available for download...

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm

PS In other news, I'm very pleased to be able to (unofficially) announce that last night I finally finished writing my new guide to the rules and terminology of Japanese mahjong! :D Stay tuned for my formal announcement when the PDF is available for download...
Good news! It seems that there could never be too many sources for furthering understanding of Riichi.

Gg

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 am

My thoughts exactly. (please continue to stay tuned)

The obsessive/compulsive guide-writing continues apace. My new guide for the Nintendo DS Mukoubuchi manga mahjong game should be up on GameFAQs in the next couple of days.

BTW Gg, do you follow the USPML forum? Just wondering as there's someone from your 'hood looking for a game...

--> http://www.uspml.com/forum/topicview/mi ... ers_in.htm

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 pm

I don't recommend single-tone black tiles (or any color) from YMI (or anyone).

The tiles, once scraped come up much more obviously than on a lighter color. The reverse problem is cracks on light tiles, in case someone was wondering. I've bought a black set from them, but they're way too slippery to even stack walls easier. That, and haku dora indicators are horrible. Flip... Flip... Flip... stand it up? I'm saying this having had a YMI black set (not one of the current ones, it's the wood-colored box the white ones they have are in but black, vivid tile colors.)

And at this size, the fact that the tiles are too glossy/polished and rounded corners doesn't help.

Verdict: I don't recommend it. J-size tiles have to be pretty much perfect to use to enjoy playing with them.

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:53 am

The black sets look intriguing, but we frequently play in less than ideal lighting and I'm wondering if that would be a problem as well. As White Dragons are blank on both sides in Riichi sets that are monochromatic, the issue of scratches over time marking these tiles when in the wall (light reflection is quite revealing!) is no small matter, I suppose. The issue of "slipperiness" of black tiles is a new one for me.

Gg

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 pm

The slipperiness is the combination of two things: the polish/finish and the fact that they are not square cornered prisms but soft-rounded boxes, losing yet even more surface to stack tiles.

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:48 am

Senechal wrote:The slipperiness is the combination of two things: the polish/finish and the fact that they are not square cornered prisms but soft-rounded boxes, losing yet even more surface to stack tiles.
It can easily be imagined by those of us who have acquired the skill to build walls by grasping a row of 17 tiles with both hands, lifting and placing on the lower row of 17, that tiles that lack sufficient surface area on their sides could suddenly fly in all directions - not good! Hopefully, the latest offerings from YMI have tiles that have sufficiently flat sides so as to make wall construction less hazardous!

Gg

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:11 am

Since I don't want to create an internet legend that isn't true, I personally don't have that skill, I mean, I can assemble tiles if i went really slowly, but if i grab quickly, normally i can go to 12-13 tiles.

But the YMI black tiles I have spin at nine, four pressured on the left, four on the right, and the center one spins.

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 am

I think, Senechal, that you have put the appropriate spin on the discussion. :wink:

Gg