Question about the Mahjong Pro Test

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Question about the Mahjong Pro Test

Post by York1jm » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:25 am

Greetings Everyone,

Lately I have been trying to work on the Mahjong pro test example questions from the 日本プロ麻雀協会 site. The one thing I don't really understand how to solve is the the Tenpai chance questions. Could someone give me an example and explain exactly how you are suppose to solve the question? Thanks for your time.

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Question about the Mahjong Pro Test

Post by York1jm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:40 am

Hey everyone,

I am glad you are all looking at the post, but this time I will give you a few examples from the test, I will also provide the answers that were provide. Hopefully someone may be able to explain to me how they arrived at the answer. Thanks.

First lets state the question to make sure I understand what it is asking at first.
テンパイチャンスが最も多い1打と、その時テンパイする牌が何種何枚あるか答えなさい。(種類ではなく枚数)
Okay, so it wants you to choose from the hand, the one tile to discard that gives the highest chance of going into tenpai. For that tenpai how many types of tenpai can you go into and how many tiles can you win on. In paratysis it states, it does not want the type of tenpai, it wants the number.

Okay, assuming this is right. Lets move onto hands.
Hand #1
1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 6-crak 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak 8-crak 2-dot 2-dot 3-dot 1-bam 1-bam

So the correct answer would be to discard the 8-crak and then you will have 5 different types of hands you can win on and 16 different tiles.

I will continue this with a second post, as I start to try to work through it and see how they came to this. I would great appreciate your input. Thanks.

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by York1jm » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:59 am

Hey Everyone,

Well just wanted to let you all know that I do understand this problem. Ben Boas helped me figure it out, thanks again by the way. So lets the put the Japanese down again and re-access it correctly.
テンパイチャンスが最も多い1打と、その時テンパイする牌が何種何枚あるか答えなさい。(種類ではなく枚数)
Okay, so the first part i was correct about, Choose the tile to discard that will give you highest chance of going into tenpai. Then what it wants to know is how many tiles do you have that can put you into tenpai and how many of them can you possibly draw at this point.

Hand #1 (after discard):

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 6-crak 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak 2-dot 2-dot 3-dot 1-bam 1-bam

So the titles that possibly put us into tenpai are:

5-crak , 1-dot , 4-dot , 1-bam , 2-dot So this makes a total of 5 or the the 5種 , which is the correct answer.

So now the question that remains is how many of them can we draw.

Well from what we know there are 4 of 5-crak , 2 of 1-bam , 4 of 4-dot , 4 of 1-dot , and finally 2 of 2-dot which puts us at a total of 16枚.

So that is how we get the 5種16枚. It was simpler than I was making it out to be.

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:47 am

Hi York,

So I was about to say that it looks like there is one problem with your translation. When they say 何種何枚, they mean how many types of tiles and how many tiles, not how many types of tempai. Looks like you already got that from Ben ;-) Putting it in English, 5 types of tiles and 16 tiles total.

Let me know if you have more questions from any of the tests or if you want to take a crack at the JPML one as well. I finally have time for foruming!

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by York1jm » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks Jenn,

I would like to take a crack the at Test, but I think for now I will practice on the old versions of the test on the jpml website. Do you have an advice about how best to prepare for the Japanese pro Mahjong Test? I will try to take it whenever I can get back to Japan because I want to go to school there. However, currently I am studying Chinese in China for the year. I plan to be back in Japan, if all goes well, next year or the year after. So now I want to try to prepare for the test and try to improve my game as best I can. Any suggestions would help a lot thanks. Oh also I was wondering when the next Reach Mahjong.com meet up is on ロン2?