Godly wait on the chun

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Godly wait on the chun

Post by BoyaSonny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Yeah that's right, rather then waiting on the hatsu, I'll do a godly wait on the red dragon. Since all 3 are already out, no one will think I'll be waiting on the chun. /professional

York1jm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Godly wait on the chun

Post by York1jm » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah, its the ultimate trap! ;) They will NEVER see it coming. By the way, did anyone ever discard the last hatsu?

Also you should have seen me play 雀龍門 the other day, along with many bad mistakes I made that day. During one game during my first 6 discards, 5 of them were absolutely terrible decisions. Like, I could have won by that point, but no I kept the tiles that had a lower chance of me drawing the ones around them cause you know that is a good idea.

...I thought you won by not getting into tenpai, what? ;)

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 am

York1jm wrote:Yeah, its the ultimate trap! ;) They will NEVER see it coming. By the way, did anyone ever discard the last hatsu?

Also you should have seen me play 雀龍門 the other day, along with many bad mistakes I made that day. During one game during my first 6 discards, 5 of them were absolutely terrible decisions. Like, I could have won by that point, but no I kept the tiles that had a lower chance of me drawing the ones around them cause you know that is a good idea.

...I thought you won by not getting into tenpai, what? ;)

I don't think anyone played the hatsu but dealing the chun was a mistake cause I didn't notice all the chuns lol.

Oh well, I came in second place cause it was a draw and I had my tenpai.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:41 am

At least you weren't furiten as well!

If the game bugged and a fifth chun came out, you could still win.

(In a live game, I remember one time a fifth white dragon snuck its way into the set from another set (when we stored the sets, two tiles got switched by accident) so someone won off a fifth white dragon realizing... "Eh... is this okay?")

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:58 am

xKime wrote:At least you weren't furiten as well!

If the game bugged and a fifth chun came out, you could still win.

(In a live game, I remember one time a fifth white dragon snuck its way into the set from another set (when we stored the sets, two tiles got switched by accident) so someone won off a fifth white dragon realizing... "Eh... is this okay?")
You never know, that white dragon could've been slipped in during the game by that guy.

Who knows what would've happened if he tried to make a set of 5.

white-dra white-dra white-dra white-dra white-dra 3-bam 4-bam 5-bam 3-dot 4-dot 5-dot 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak red-dra red-dra

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 am

Ahaha, yeah. But I hardly think it was him as he was the only one to point out the extra haku.

Then again, this was the same guy who once tried to assemble a 7 pairs counting four haku as two pairs.

Imagine what mahjong would be if there were 5 or 6 instances of each tile. I would be in to play it. Kokushi wouldn't be so bad of a choice either.

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:49 am

xKime wrote:Ahaha, yeah. But I hardly think it was him as he was the only one to point out the extra haku.

Then again, this was the same guy who once tried to assemble a 7 pairs counting four haku as two pairs.

Imagine what mahjong would be if there were 5 or 6 instances of each tile. I would be in to play it. Kokushi wouldn't be so bad of a choice either.

It would be a pain to play though :P.

Yesterday I finally got janryumon working and I'm already loving it, but down to like 5000 points now cause [insert excuse here].

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 am

BoyaSonny wrote:
xKime wrote:Ahaha, yeah. But I hardly think it was him as he was the only one to point out the extra haku.

Yesterday I finally got janryumon working and I'm already loving it, but down to like 5000 points now cause [insert excuse here].
My best advice in such cases is: Play tonpuusen. Basic strategy: hit and run.

By playing only 46 tonpuusen, I made my way to 熟練 tables.Image

Notice by the 7% last that avoiding last place is key. Jan-tama (currency) come on their own.

When I started playing in the higher ranked hanchan, though, my win rate went down quite a bit naturally:
17% of last place. 10% more than in the normal tables.

Just don't give up! Results will come accordingly to skill in the long run, so be patient! Some people play very goofy, but in higher tables you actually meet -some- people who are very good, and it feels good to play them. And also, play in events. It makes the game a lot more fun. I won awesome items at the last events.

Also, I knew I had this somewhere, when a chun wait goes right:

(The mahjong Gods did give me my tenpai fast enough, but I did wait until I could change that 2m wait for something. When I drew the chun, I smirked and reached, whispering to myself "game over")

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:29 pm

xKime wrote:
BoyaSonny wrote:

My best advice in such cases is: Play tonpuusen. Basic strategy: hit and run.

By playing only 46 tonpuusen, I made my way to 熟練 tables.Image

Notice by the 7% last that avoiding last place is key. Jan-tama (currency) come on their own.

When I started playing in the higher ranked hanchan, though, my win rate went down quite a bit naturally:
17% of last place. 10% more than in the normal tables.

Just don't give up! Results will come accordingly to skill in the long run, so be patient! Some people play very goofy, but in higher tables you actually meet -some- people who are very good, and it feels good to play them. And also, play in events. It makes the game a lot more fun. I won awesome items at the last events.

Also, I knew I had this somewhere, when a chun wait goes right:

(The mahjong Gods did give me my tenpai fast enough, but I did wait until I could change that 2m wait for something. When I drew the chun, I smirked and reached, whispering to myself "game over")
What's tonpuusen again? That's playing only East rounds right?

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Yeah.

It comes from the 東 (ton, East) 風 (puu, wind) 戦 (sen, battle/war/match).

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:58 pm

Crazy, I was just playing on janryumon and I was in last place with like 12,000 points left then my what seemed to be a cheap hand went up to a baiman cause I had 2 dora tiles which was the west wind tile. Someone discarded one and I pon'd that. Then after that, I pon'd the 1 of dots.

With the west tile, I drew another one soon and made it into a kan. Then I made another kan later and my 3 1 of dots became the new dora LOL.

So I had 7 dora which made my hand a baiman, and I came second place. :D

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 pm

You were in a tough spot. Baiman to get to second place sounds very tough.

Still, magical things may happen in janryuumon. Such as, not winning a single hand, and then winning in the last one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUdo02hrc0

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Yeah after that, all my games started becoming worser and worser. All my luck was drained D:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 am

BoyaSonny wrote:Who knows what would've happened if he tried to make a set of 5.
Some American games use joker tiles (wildcards) and recognise a set of five identical tiles called a "quint". You can even make a set of six! :roll:

Also some tile-sets come with blank spare tiles which are indistinguishable from white dragons. I have an old set with twelve of them - I could make an "All Dragons" hand. :)

Speaking of which, let's not forget the manga version of prime minister Koizumi who can rub a tile so hard that he removes all the markings, creating an extra haku. (is this what your friend did, Kime?!) One time he made the four kongs yakuman with eighteen haku. :D Not only that but they were playing without limits and four of the dora indicators just happened to be chun... :lol:
xKime wrote:Imagine what mahjong would be if there were 5 or 6 instances of each tile. I would be in to play it. Kokushi wouldn't be so bad of a choice either.
I've speculated about this before. You could use one and a half tile-sets, each player builds a standard 34-tile wall but they're arranged in a hexagon, treat chun and hatsu as seat-winds, allow up to six kongs (and associated dora) so you need a 20-tile dead wall, play six hands per wind round...?

I guess overall there'd still be the same proportion of "orphans" though.
BoyaSonny wrote:All my luck was drained D:
You need to get yourself a magic lucky penguin. They can work wonders!
See? :)

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:59 am

Barticle wrote:
BoyaSonny wrote:Who knows what would've happened if he tried to make a set of 5.
Some American games use joker tiles (wildcards) and recognise a set of five identical tiles called a "quint". You can even make a set of six! :roll:

Also some tile-sets come with blank spare tiles which are indistinguishable from white dragons. I have an old set with twelve of them - I could make an "All Dragons" hand. :)

Speaking of which, let's not forget the manga version of prime minister Koizumi who can rub a tile so hard that he removes all the markings, creating an extra haku. (is this what your friend did, Kime?!) One time he made the four kongs yakuman with eighteen haku. :D Not only that but they were playing without limits and four of the dora indicators just happened to be chun... :lol:
xKime wrote:Imagine what mahjong would be if there were 5 or 6 instances of each tile. I would be in to play it. Kokushi wouldn't be so bad of a choice either.
I've speculated about this before. You could use one and a half tile-sets, each player builds a standard 34-tile wall but they're arranged in a hexagon, treat chun and hatsu as seat-winds, allow up to six kongs (and associated dora) so you need a 20-tile dead wall, play six hands per wind round...?

I guess overall there'd still be the same proportion of "orphans" though.
BoyaSonny wrote:All my luck was drained D:
You need to get yourself a magic lucky penguin. They can work wonders!
See? :)

Is that supposed to be a Saki reference? :P Too bad Haramura doesn't believe in luck.