Suukantsu/abortive draw

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Jiazzz
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Suukantsu/abortive draw

Post by Jiazzz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:59 am

Is it possible to win having declared 4 kantsu and a tanki-wait?
ie
2-dot 2-dot 2-dot 2-dot 6-dot 6-dot 6-dot 6-dot 8-dot 8-dot 8-dot 8-dot 3-crak 3-crak 3-crak 3-crak 7-bam
Wouldn't it result in an abortive draw?
If yes, then how can you get the suukantsu yakuman?

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Suukantsu/abortive draw

Post by Goldeneye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am

If Suu Kan Tsu is permitted as a yakuman hand, then an exception the the abortive draw rule happens if all four kans were made by the same player.

In that case, the hand is permitted to continue and if that player succeeds in making the pair, he will score the Suu Kan Tsu yakuman. In addition, from that point on, no kan may be declared (or a fifth kan will cause an abortive draw).

ghostdragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ghostdragon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 am

so i think the su kan tsu is the most difficult yakuman ,even more difficult than dai su shi or chureen .also you have to go mahjong with the pair only. the chance is very low.so i think this yakuman should be worthed as double yakuman. for example you've got 3 set kan in your hand , and the other set is concealed pon so you just wait to 4th tile to reach 4th kan wheter claim or zimo,and you almost near to get this yakuman, but if suddenly there;s another player kan first before your 4th kan so you better cry and forget your dream to get this hand , am i correct?

Aduil100
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Aduil100 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 am

Suu kantsu is the most difficult yakuman to get. The problem is getting of course all 4 tiles... hoping to get at least daiminkan's and of course the extreme risk of opening up new kandora. Just the last yakuman you should ever think about getting imo.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 am

Even San Kan Tsu is hard enough. Never got one. In fact, it's the only non-yakuman yaku I never made.

I don't kan much anyhow.

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Goldeneye » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 pm

xKime wrote:Even San Kan Tsu is hard enough. Never got one. In fact, it's the only non-yakuman yaku I never made.

I don't kan much anyhow.
I've actually made San Kan Tsu one time, in HK Mahjong - where there is no Abortive rule draw based on the number of kans.

As for Reach Mahjong, I've not made three kans yet - I've made two at least once.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:11 pm

If you look at statistical logs you see that San Kantsu is more rare than about half the yakuman hands, and yet only worth two doubles!

Suu Kantsu is usually right at the bottom of the list (if at all), several hundred times rarer than the most common limit-hands (Kokushi, Suu Ankou and Dai San Gen).

I've made three kongs maybe a couple of times but never completed the hand. It's the only yaku missing from my "collection" too.

ghostdragon
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ghostdragon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 am

Barticle wrote:If you look at statistical logs you see that San Kantsu is more rare than about half the yakuman hands, and yet only worth two doubles!

Suu Kantsu is usually right at the bottom of the list (if at all), several hundred times rarer than the most common limit-hands (Kokushi, Suu Ankou and Dai San Gen).

I've made three kongs maybe a couple of times but never completed the hand. It's the only yaku missing from my "collection" too.
yes same as me, 3 kan tsu is the only yaku i never get, already got 3 kan but never complete the winning hand, i think this special hand just need the pure luck to achieve.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:54 am

I'm jealous. I just bought the Yakuman DS video-game pre-owned and the previous owner's save data is still on it...

They played for only 47 hours and yet their yaku log shows that they completed San Kantsu once! :x

Yakuman DS is the one with the Super Mario characters by the way. I wonder if you can make a (wait for it)... Donkey Kong? :lol:

http://www.badum-tish.com/ (auto-plays sound)

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Barticle wrote:Yakuman DS is the one with the Super Mario characters by the way. I wonder if you can make a (wait for it)... Donkey Kong? :lol:
:groan:
4649おねがいします。

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Had to chuckle earlier when playing against DK and he got a rinshan win.

Also continually amused by Mario who exclaims "mamma mia!" whenever he gets ronned. :)