How many akapai do you use?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

How many akapai do you use?

Post by Goldeneye » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:02 am

I've played usually with three of them, but in a custom JRM game, I set it to four akapai (two red 5-pin).

And the discard patterns really change with two red 5-pin in the game, as in some hands, pinzu weren't usually thrown, except for the 1, 2, 8 and 9 pin tiles.

Now, I know that in the DS Mahjong Fight Club, one can set as many as six akapai (two red fives in each suit), but that probably is overkill.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: How many akapai do you use?

Post by Barticle » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:18 am

When I create my own matches I always use three. As I've said before, I don't like the imbalance of four.

Recently been playing Nintendo's own Yakuman DS which only allows two red fives - two 2p, just like in some of the real tile-sets that Nintendo market! (see March 2010 post with pic on David's blog) The option is nashi in the default rule set though. Would've been annoying otherwise I think.

Some video-games allow as many as twelve! You could get a Tanyao-only Yakuman. :D

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: How many akapai do you use?

Post by zzo38 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:50 am

When using akapai I will use two of red 5-pin and one of red 5-sou and one of red 5-man. However I do not always use them.