Could this debacle jave been avoided?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Could this debacle jave been avoided?

Post by Referee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 am

I've just played a heartbreaking game in tenhou. It was late, and I was on the lead since almost the beginning of the game. But then this hand came: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2011100508gm-0 ... tw=2&ts=13

Next hand, player opposite me tsumoed for 30-3, and what should have been a first ended up being a fourth. Since it's from things like this one that we should learn, I come once again to this community so that we can figure out to what extent the hand should have been played differently, and what could have been done instead. Thank you.

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Could this debacle jave been avoided?

Post by WorTeX » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 am

player on your left discarded the dora, east claiming white dragon, player opposite of you going riichi, Every one of these actions should have stopped your hand.

The 4-dot hadn't been thrown once, and there were no indications that it is safe to anyone since the table also lacked 7-dot.

Dealers mangan tsumo or wests direct hit mangan from somebody else would not have catched you (though south reached, west winning from mangan would have taken you over with 800pt thx to the riichi bet).

I suggest that you learn folding of the hands and defending, since your hand was going nowhere.

You would have been better off claiming everything and diving for a tanyao, or just collecting safe tiles since your lead was so big.

The discarding order was a bit off also but I'm not going to go into specifics.

TL;DR: Don't throw live tiles in late game, and play defensive.