First time Ron2 1st place finish, yay + questions

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Alutemu
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

First time Ron2 1st place finish, yay + questions

Post by Alutemu » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:39 pm

During East 4th, I started with white-dra white-dra white-dra green-dra red-dra in hand, and the lucky hand came together into shou sangen for 12,000 points.
This pic was South 4th, I had started the hand with:
3-crak 3-crak 4-crak 4-crak 5-crak 9-crak 3-bam 5-bam 3-dot 5-dot 6-dot :south :south

I started the hand thinking about Iiepeikou and San shoku doujun, but I couldn't get a 4-dot the whole hand.
So, I dropped my San shoku doujun wait when I picked up a 2nd dora and was able to pon it a few turns later.

The final result was that "ntmidori" tsumo'd.

Thoughts after the game:
I could've dropped my south pair earlier and possibly went for Ryan peikou with Pinfu and Tanyao chuu.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by Alutemu on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: First time Ron2 1st place finish, yay + questions

Post by clacker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 am

Congrats on your first win!

One thing I wonder, looking at your hand and the pond, was whether or not it was a good idea to pon the 3-dot and discard the 5-dot . When I look at your score relative to the others you are in the lead, if nobody gets a big hand or Rons off of you, you win. When I look at the player on your right's hand, I see he has a pon of red-dra and no dots in his pond except for a 1-dot at the end, which says half flush hand to me. That wasn't the case here, but the logic is still OK I think. The player on your left also shows only a single 8-dot in his pond. I think I may have played safer and discarded the 3-crak 4-crak immediately after the player to your left did and effectively folded the hand. Even if everyone else was tenpai and you weren't, you still would have won.

I've always wanted to try the reach battle section but I don't know how that section works as compared to the dojo section. Do you gamble points somehow? What happens if you run out of points altogether?

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:31 am

Hello and welcome.

It's hard to review a hand if we don't know which tiles are discarded from the hand. Plus, you have made a mistake for your initial hand: the screenshot show you had only one 5-dot in the whole game.

The few I can tell:
- 1st discard: If you have an isolated 9 and a 6 connected to a 5, you should definitively keep the connected tile.

- 7th discard:
You really should keep 2-crak 3-crak 3-crak 4-crak 4-crak 5-crak as it is until you draw a 2-crak or a 5-crak .
By discarding the 2-crak you take the risk to end up furiten, reduce your chances to get iipeikou ... and reduce your chances to win at all.

- "I dropped my San shoku doujun wait when I picked up a 2nd dora"
I'm not quite sure what I should think about it.
What was your goal by doing it?
If it was to increase the hade value, it's useless, since a hand whitout yaku worth nothing.
If it was to avoid discarding a dangerous tile, you should not have discarded a dangeous 5-dot.

- Making the 3-dot pon was probably a bat idea: you didn't have any yaku, and like Clacker said you didn't even need to win this hand to win the hanchan.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Alutemu
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Alutemu » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:37 pm

As you said, I ended up temporary furiten discarding the 2-crak . After review, it was quite a bad move to open my hand before finishing Iiepeikou. It may have been mental fatigue, due to playing 3 tonba and 4 hanchan prior. I will practice focusing on pond reading more during games to avoid the tunnel vision of just pon'ing dora without hand points, since like you said, I wasn't pushed for points.

@Clacker: In the reach battle you start with 20,000 battle points and you gain or lose points depending on score above or below 30,000 points. If I remember correctly, the uma spread is (+200/+100/-100/-200), but that is off the top of my head and I'd have to check to confirm. Also, there is a ranking system level scale where you gain or lose levels depending on your placement. In D5, where you start, taking 1st will give you 2 levels, 2nd will give 1, 3 is no change and 4th is -1 level. I have no idea what happens if you completely run out of points, as I haven't had that happen yet. But as a side note, the biggest point change I've seen so far is a 500 point swing in either direction for a tonba/hanchan.

@Shirluban: You're correct, I meant to put 3-dot 5-dot 6-dot , not 3-dot 5-dot 5-dot . Fixing that now.

If you need anything more specific, just let me know.

Thank you for the constructive criticism,
Alutemu

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:13 pm

No, Iipeikou doesn't work on open hands, no matter if it's completed before of after it is open. As it stands, you have a beautiful furiten no-yaku dora 4 hand. Kinda reminds me of the lovely Ikeda Kana, though, so you're forgiven this time. :)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 am

Bet you 10 (battle)bucks the player across was waiting on South.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue May 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Hehe. Yea, it sure feels nice signing into Ron2, and winning the first game. :oops:

adwardrob
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by adwardrob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:50 am

hmm... this game is very interesting.. good...
:) :)
adward

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Congrats and welcome to the site!

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:46 pm

adwardrob wrote:hmm... this game is very interesting.. good...
:) :)
Yes, it sure is. 8)