How to organize a Reach Mahjong Tournouament

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Xa0s
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

How to organize a Reach Mahjong Tournouament

Post by Xa0s » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:26 pm

As the title says I'am thinking of organizing a small tournament with 16 participants

So my first thought is make a draw and form 4 tables with 4 players...
After that take the 1st and the 2nd player from each table and create 2 more tables (semifinals) with 4 players each.
Finally the 1st and the 2nd player form each table gets to be in the final match...
Do you think that's this is a good way to proceed or is there any better???

If someone knows and can tell me : How an official mahjong tournament proceeds???

Tom Sloper

Re: How to organize a Reach Mahjong Tournouament

Post by Tom Sloper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 pm

If you're going to do a single-elimination tournament, the early-out players will lose interest and might leave before the final event.
Take a look at round-robin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_tournament
Most tournaments use round-robin, sometimes with a final round for the playoff.
4649おねがいします。

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:28 pm

For a mahjong tournament, a good way is to have a cumulative score tournament, with high uma if you want to emphasize placings. Then put the top 4 into a final match if you want.

The folks at osamuko did note that for online tournaments where it's easy to leave, single elimination makes sense. It also works if your tournament is part of a bigger event.

Xa0s
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Xa0s » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:46 am

I talked with some friends and they all agreed that it would be more interesting to make a ''score tournament'' more games for all..and the chance to play more games.
So lets say that we are 12 people and we want to play 4 rounds. At the 1 round 3 tables will be determined by draw . For the rest of the rounds is there a way to form the tables or we make a draw again???

What do you think if from the results of the 1st round we put the 4 highest players play together,the 4 middle players together and the 4 low players together????
I think that all will have a chance to play in an equal level. Also give the chance to low ranking players go up..as well the hight ranking players will play against each other and some of them will go down????

Torgo
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Torgo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Xa0s wrote:What do you think if from the results of the 1st round we put the 4 highest players play together,the 4 middle players together and the 4 low players together????
That is called a "Swiss" tournament and it will ensure people are playing others of similar placing. Whether that's luck or skill in one short game is hard to measure.

But for sure, in the second round at the top table you're going to have a "good" player come in last place, and similarly you'll have the winner at the lowest table come in first. Your uma scores will have a huge impact on placement. Make them low, and the individual scores matter more, so it's more of a cumilative tournament. Make them very high, and it becomes more like an ellimination tournament where your place at the table means everything.

Just as long as everyone knows exactly how you'll be scoring, you should be fine.

Xa0s
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Xa0s » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

So far i have read and we where thinking on going for an uma like this.
1st place : +9000
2st place : +3000
3st place : -3000
4st place : -9000
Do you think it's a good choice for a tournament ??? Players that will participate will have
from ' '6months game-play'' to ''1 month game-play'' .

The purpose of the tournament is to attract people to the game , and have fun .
Not to find out who is the best player.

Also playing 4 rounds sounds big or it's better to make them 3 ???
Each round we decided to last 1:30 hours.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm

A +9000/+3000/-3000/-9000 uma is almost insignificant.
Considering your players have up to 6 mounts experience, and your purpose is "Not to find out who is the best player", you can as well don't use uma at all. I don't expect beginners and near-beginners to care much about the uma.

I would say 4 rounds sounds small, but it means playing the whole day:
(1h30 + at least a 20 minutes break per round) x 4 rounds, + a bigger break for lunch = 8 to 9 hours
Your players should be motivated!
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world