The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 am

The failed suttan, with the dora ankou.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 am

How is that my big fault?

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 am

I will not write a long post with every bad discard in that hand (at the moment!), but were you at the very very least aware of your furiten?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 am

Heh, do I suck or what? I should have discarded 4m before 8p, drawing that second one was painful. but 8m was a hell wait. What else did I do wrong? We're hear to learn :)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:18 am

Referee wrote:Heh, do I suck or what? I should have discarded 4m before 8p, drawing that second one was painful. but 8m was a hell wait. What else did I do wrong? We're hear to learn :)
First, you certainly don't suck. Sucking would imply a complete lack of reasoning. I can see that you had some kind of reasoning, though it was off for the most part. Mind you, it was amazing to see how it took a suttan shape unexpectedly, but this hand was absolutely winnable otherwise, too. I will elaborate appriopriately when I am not on a tiny 7" tablet. orz

So sorry. D:

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 am

OK. I'm also interested on how to factor the fact that this is south 3 and I'm so far down in 4th. :)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:42 am

Referee wrote:I should have discarded 4m before 8p
And you should have discarded the 6m before both of them.

To repeat xKime question, have you seen your furiten?

@xKime: For the longer analysis, may I suggest you to create a new thread? I've seen some other hands that would worth a review. (But I won't do it at 3 AM.)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:10 am

From my personal laptop connected to a hundred inches TV set now. (hyperbole, but you get the idea that I can now sit comfortable to type)

Last Place, South 3, no dealer turn remaining, third place is at a distance of 19600 points. It is a situation where you need mangan/haneman class or higher this hand if you want to speak about gyakuten. The only promising point about the starting hand is its two dora (riichi and tsumo will suffice to make it mangan class, and the possibilities for other bonus like other yaku, more dora, including aka and ura, and even ippatsu make for a slight chance at haneman). So, since the basic ingredients are already there, let's build upon this hand.

2-crak 2-crak 4-crak 6-crak 7-dot 8-dot 9-dot 9-dot 9-dot 2-bam 2-bam 8-bam 8-bam 2-bam

Since the hand has now three dora, it is well important to win it. To win it, you need tenpai (obviously), and for it to be effective you need to get there as promptly as possible. You discarded 8p, but the widest choice is 6-crak

Note that even while 6-crak is the widest, it doesn't negate the possibility for any other yaku (like ankou/mentsu or toitsu hand), while further enabling you to riichi. Furthermore, having discarded 8p twice, you don't have much of an effective use for that 7999 shape anymore. Nevertheless, later on,

2-crak 2-crak 4-crak 6-crak 7-dot 9-dot 9-dot 9-dot 2-bam 2-bam 2-bam 8-bam 8-bam 8-bam

You discarded 4m and took away tenpai. Even if you take tenpai 7-dot , you can still freely choose whether to riichi or not, as you do have San An Kou and 3 Dora, with a fair haneman chance. Instead, you are now up to the wall.

The 3m you drew afterwards, even though mostly useless, is still more useful than that 7p.

2-crak 2-crak 6-crak 7-dot 9-dot 9-dot 9-dot 2-bam 2-bam 2-bam 8-bam 8-bam 8-bam 2-crak

Under normal circumstances, 7999 would be a superior shape, however not only are you furiten for it, but it has been discarded over and again. While, on the other hand, 6m is still available, manzu are cheap on the board, and more importantly, you are not furiten for it. If you are the type who doesn't fixate on yakuman over hand win rate, it is still even possible to draw 7m for ryanmen riichi (san an kou, dora 3).

Same thing about 8m. It is a waste to tsumogiri it. manzu are cheap and you can still win on it. Doesn't look like a bad wait at all.

I don't like evaluating things from the result, but rather from the side of theory and a proper discard order, but the following two things were absolutely possible:

-Haneman tsumo was absolutely possible with a more honest discard order.
-As kamicha was likely to have called 7p, we can't know for sure, but you might just as well have won that suu an tanki.

A proper and earnest discard order will help all things work in your favor, even those you can't control, most of the time.
@xKime: For the longer analysis, may I suggest you to create a new thread? I've seen some other hands that would worth a review. (But I won't do it at 3 AM.)
That was perfectly possible, but I seem to have missed this as I was writing. I take too long typing, it is a fault of many I have. However, I do state my interest in a Reviewing Thread.
Last edited by xKime on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:25 am

Thank you. I was about to suggest a review thread, which I find would be better suited to this kind of discussion. OK, gotta try to learn how to discard well, it seems.

So here's hoping I can continue learning from my mistakes being pointed out by this nice community.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:37 am

It is the fun part of the self-growth stage where mistakes are blunt and evident, and you can suddenly jump hundreds of levels above by applying the basics of winning theory.

When mistakes begin getting obscure and arguable, you can only expect hundreds of matches of unfathomable frustration and pain. Mainly because there won't be many people skilled enough, willing enough, or didactic enough to help you out of them.

Some people in tenhou may call that stage "6th dan infinite loop".

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 pm

My best hand just happened a few moments ago. It was Baiman. I've yet to get higher but I was pleased enough!

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Goldeneye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm

And that Baiman was with no dora as well - I actually made a similar hand, but also got Shou San Gen for a 10-han Baiman with no dora, but on the other site, Janryumon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dfHFiykxc

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 am

Finally, a sanbaiman.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012090318gm-0 ... &tw=0&ts=4

If it weren't for that East call, it would have been Tsumo for Yakuman. But, I'll take it as is -- for it sent the leader all the way down to 4th.
Last edited by Kyuu on Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Kyuu wrote:Finally, a sanbaiman.
Pairs flush, and symmetrical too - nice hand! Would be prettier without that red five though. ;)

PS I previously posted a couple of my sanbaiman in this thread: http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... =5&t=52955