Question

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Question

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 am

Where does one get a set of mahjong tiles like this? I'm specifically looking for those kind of backs.

edit:

also, can someone translate these? so I can know which one sounds the coolest xD

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Question

Post by wavemotion » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:35 pm

BoyaSonny wrote:Where does one get a set of mahjong tiles like this? I'm specifically looking for those kind of backs.
I've had good luck scouring ebay - people have bought sets for more than a century now and many list those sets for sale for a reasonable price. I just got a nice 1955 Japanese bone and bamboo set on ebay for around US$40 shipped. They look like little butterscotch candies... yum!
Counter question: what's that image from, if you don't mind me asking?

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:01 pm

wavemotion wrote:
BoyaSonny wrote:Where does one get a set of mahjong tiles like this? I'm specifically looking for those kind of backs.
I've had good luck scouring ebay - people have bought sets for more than a century now and many list those sets for sale for a reasonable price. I just got a nice 1955 Japanese bone and bamboo set on ebay for around US$40 shipped. They look like little butterscotch candies... yum!
Counter question: what's that image from, if you don't mind me asking?
Jan Ryu Mon

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I've seen sets similar to that on eBay, wouldn't really expect to see any modern ones in that style. Note the convex curved backs which make it harder to stack them for the wall and Arabic numerals in the corners so made for export. Might have slightly irregular hand-crafted markings?

I found a set of Janryumon title translations for you. 8) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kMlE#gid=0
wavemotion wrote:I just got a nice 1955 Japanese bone and bamboo set on ebay for around US$40 shipped. They look like little butterscotch candies... yum!
Nice find! I just hope Jenn knows the Heimlich Maneuver. :lol:

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Barticle wrote:I've seen sets similar to that on eBay, wouldn't really expect to see any modern ones in that style. Note the convex curved backs which make it harder to stack them for the wall and Arabic numerals in the corners so made for export. Might have slightly irregular hand-crafted markings?

I found a set of Janryumon title translations for you. 8) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kMlE#gid=0
wavemotion wrote:I just got a nice 1955 Japanese bone and bamboo set on ebay for around US$40 shipped. They look like little butterscotch candies... yum!
Nice find! I just hope Jenn knows the Heimlich Maneuver. :lol:
Thank you for that link :o

Tom Sloper

Post by Tom Sloper » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm

That bone/bam set is of fairly recent origin (the bone is processed fishbone). Bone/bam sets are always being offered on eBay, every day. Some mah-jongg set vendors also have those fishbone sets available new. There's a list of vendors on the site where you found that picture (my site - FAQ 7k, I think).
4649おねがいします。