Mahjong pet peeves

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Mahjong pet peeves

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 am

>Playing Jang Ryu Mon
>1 hand I have 3 dora to begin with(1 from the dora indicator, and 2 red fives) and then some kan'd, so a set of 3 in my hand gave me another 3 dora AND got my tenpai
>another hand i kan my set of white dragons and another kan and a chun became the dora indicator which made my set of chun the dora
>i feel like Saki, got my tenpai from those kans

Sad thing is, I won none of those hands because someone else won with a cheap hand :(

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Mahjong pet peeves

Post by wavemotion » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:47 pm

My wife Jenn had a Riichi mini-meltdown last night. Playing JanRyuMon HD Mobile and another player was declared as being Tenpai but was nowhere near having the 1 required Yaku scoring element. Because their hand was still 1 tile away from 'ready' (again, a theoretical ready as the game wouldn't have allowed it going out due to the minimum 1 Han via Yaku rule) they got the 3000 points which was just enough to push her into 2nd place. She went on a rant that seemed to not end even long after I drifted off to sleep.

After googling a bit today, apparently some game rulesets allow you to configure whether this 'ready' condition would be considered Tenpai for purposes of the no-ten bappu rule. That was not much consolation to her.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:28 pm

As fas as I know if you are in draw you can be in tenpai, if your hand has no potential Yaku, as long as you´re ready to obtain 4 sets and a pair. This looks like to be common. I like it. It´s logical to think that when you´re playing with Sakizuke rule (you´re forced to have a Yaku before you can declare a win), this kind of no yaku tenpai is eliminated.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:30 pm

But that's a really important and fun tactical element. The technical tenpai race. And remember that haitei exists. That one houtei dora2 tanki ron was great.

I'd hate to see a situation on tenhou where there's a double ron in the last hand, and the central points go to one player only by atama-hane, then they tie for 1st with those points and then take the first place by a second atama-hane ruling. It's like "so you had less points than me, and we both won with a 1han30fu hand, yet somehow you win and I lose". Of course you can plan for that, but it's so silly!

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

wavemotion wrote:My wife Jenn had a Riichi mini-meltdown last night. Playing JanRyuMon HD Mobile and another player was declared as being Tenpai but was nowhere near having the 1 required Yaku scoring element. Because their hand was still 1 tile away from 'ready' (again, a theoretical ready as the game wouldn't have allowed it going out due to the minimum 1 Han via Yaku rule) they got the 3000 points which was just enough to push her into 2nd place. She went on a rant that seemed to not end even long after I drifted off to sleep.

After googling a bit today, apparently some game rulesets allow you to configure whether this 'ready' condition would be considered Tenpai for purposes of the no-ten bappu rule. That was not much consolation to her.
Haha, that's unfortunate how the 3000 points for being in tenpai was enough to tip the balance of the points in their favor.

On topic:

I really hate being the dealer/East, it feels like everyone's ganging up on you and it makes me lose my luck. Also, I hate that I never win when I have such amazing waits but win when I have a terrible wait haha.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Pet peeves?

English translations to the Yaku. There is no standard translation to the yaku; and therefore, "translations" are about as varied as the english language itself, due to the myriad of synonyms and phrases saying the same darned thing.

Thankfully, translation to other aspects of the game aren't as... inconsistent.
BoyaSonny wrote:I really hate being the dealer/East, it feels like everyone's ganging up on you and it makes me lose my luck. Also, I hate that I never win when I have such amazing waits but win when I have a terrible wait haha.
Dealer is a love/hate position.

Being in position to draw first AND score more points, the dealer position is one of control, which is lost upon rotation. Even when someone is tenpai before you, you just hope to either (a) lose to a low scoring "tsumo", (b) one player "rons" another player, or (c) you retain the dealer position for another hand (with a better opportunity).

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 am

but a tenpai without yaku *is* tenpai. Just as a furiten hand will declare tenpai.

BoyaSonny
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by BoyaSonny » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:44 am

Omg. I hate having those moments where you make the right judgements of which tiles are dangerous then you end up playing into someone's hand anyway...

"that guy must be waiting on a terminal, all his discards are simples"

*near end of the game, play a terminal*

RON RON RON RON RON RON RON RON

I need to learn to trust my judgement xD

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 am

BoyaSonny wrote:RON RON RON RON RON RON RON RON
Having so many ron means you play at least nine players mahjong! Very impressive! :lol:

Kidding aside, It's so frustrating that the right move is not always the winning one. :?
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Light
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Light » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:44 am

The time you reach with a open ended wait, 10 turns later someone else calls reach, guy after him kans something then you deal right into a ippatsu centre wait. He also hits about 3 uradora.

When you start out with a good looking hand 1 or 2 shanten away from tenpai, and don't draw anything useful at all the whole round.

When everyone only goes for open tanyao like its the only way to win.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Having people who openly call themselves beginner defame me in public forums, for no reason other than they didn't like my tone of voice or the points made because it pushed them out of their comfort zone. (like Faust on the FFMJ forums, if you need an example)

A pity, because you never move on from beginner to intermediate if you can't criticize others' play or your own.

--------

I do have another one though: LCD (Lowest common denominator) Mahjong. People playing under multiple rulesets creating the unified holy trinity of "honitsu, flushes, yakuhai, or one yaku+dora (riichi only or say silent pinfu)" or mistakes like "chanta, dora, no pons", where "no pons" is not a yaku following a lack of comprehension of the rules specific to the game being played in front of you. Overall, it sucks to be beaten by a strategy that basically denies the richness of the game, the poker equivalent being going all in for any suited connectors (2,3-hearts) because connectors look pretty, even if the strategy employed is -EV in the long run, people will be comforted if the blips occur when they savour them the most.