Scoring Limits Simplified (an excercise in Theory/Absurdity)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Scoring Limits Simplified (an excercise in Theory/Absurdity)

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Let me start by saying that I don't have a major problem with the scoring tables for Riichi Mahjong. I like that it's quirky - it adds charm to the game. But if there is one area where Riichi could be made a bit more friendly to beginners, then it might be in the area of scoring. Most video games don't even bother to show you the breakdown of minipoints. Most amatures know the limit hand values (which at least make some sense in progression) but less-so the non-limit hands (I always find it odd that they use the term 'limit' when it's really like 'tiers' since there are no fewer than 5 limits and with Double Yakuman maybe 6+).

Anyway, just kinda daydreaming while eating my lunch today and I scribbled this on the back of a napkin (and then translated into a table since nobody wants to see my Chicken Parm stains or poor early trials at math). I thought it might be interesting to do away with all minipoints and only look at the scoring elements (han values) of a hand when determining score. While the math may need tweaking, there is something ascetically pleasing about having a single scoring table. The names for the first 4 tiers are completely fictitious (obviously).

I'm prepared to be laughed at... so go ahead :D

Shirluban

Re: Scoring Limits Simplified (an excercise in Theory/Absurd

Post by Shirluban » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm

If you don't want to count the mini-points, you can just use the 30 mini-points line for each hand.
Since most hands worth between 20 to 40 mini-points, it doesn't make a big difference.
It's easy because it's already on the scoring sheet, and remembering it is useful when you play with the "real" scoring.
wavemotion wrote:I'm prepared to be laughed at... so go ahead :D
(Sorry, but you asked for it ... it was too tempting.)
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Shirluban wrote:If you don't want to count the mini-points, you can just use the 30 mini-points line for each hand.
Since most hands worth between 20 to 40 mini-points, it doesn't make a big difference.
I thought about doing just that (though I was going to pick 40 for some reason) but I don't like the asymmetrical nature of those tables. The ratios in the "Limits" (Mangan through Yakuman) table all make sense to me mathematically with 1.5 being the key factor between Dealer/Non Dealer payouts (which makes the 2:1:1 and 1:1:1 ratios, respectively, divide evenly and cleanly). I attempted to extend that downwards for my theoretical table so that the payouts always stay in that same balance. I couldn't quite mesh between the existing limit hands (5+) and the lower limits (1-4) so there is a slight mathematical discrepancy in the table between those values (That is... everything from 1 han to 4 han is a perfect double until you cross over into the existing 5+ han limit area) but the saving grace here is that the Mangan and above hands stay the same.

With the 30 mini-points line you get oddities like a non-dealer who was RONed by another non-dealer with a 1 Han pays 1000 points. But same hand Tsumo would see payouts of 300/300/500 = 1100. The non-limit tables are filled with such minor rounding issues. Admittedly, the difference is small - but just grates slightly against simplicity and symmetry. The Japanese normally excel at simplicity and symmetry so these tables feel a little odd to me. It's also not fun to teach people and show them the scoring table and watch their eyes bug out. I usually avoid even teaching scoring at first - just the shape of a hand and the proper methods for playing the game (building the wall, drawing tiles, Pon/Chi/Kan/Ron/Tsumo, etc).

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Shirluban wrote:If you don't want to count the mini-points, you can just use the 30 mini-points line for each hand.
I myself prefer 25 fu, and eliminates rounding (which means that a tsumo win is not actually worth more due to rounding).

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:49 pm

That awkward moment when it was too difficult to print a chart, or actually learn the values.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 am

The scoring system in of itself is the very reason why it is the last thing I'd ever teach anyone about the game (as far as basics go).

As far as scoring memorization goes -- it's actually easy to learn the point values for Mangan, Haneman, etc. As for the han values 1-4... it's best to stick to learning the 30 and 40 fu values, as they are the most common. On top of that, the chii toitsu values (which are actually equivalent to the 50 fu values).

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:38 am

Imagine if you had to teach them blackjack strategy charts!