Riichi Resource Card

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Riichi Resource Card

Post by wavemotion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm trying to put together a resource card (roughly the size of a 4x6 inch index card) that I can hand out after teaching new players the game. Here is a rough inital draft (yes, I've stolen the Reach Mahjong banner - I need to figure out who to ask to make sure it's okay - gemma? Jenn?).

This includes a link to these forums as well as links to the official distribution of Bart's Japanese Mahjong Guide and one of the better tutorials of the game on Youtube.

Mostly this is to save me from answering the same questions I'm getting repeatedly after teaching people.

Thoughts?

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Riichi Resource Card

Post by Kyuu » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Funny how y'note Amazon, when this site sells mahjong stuff too. :wink: :P :mrgreen:

Though, is YMI associated with this site in any shape or form?

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Kyuu wrote:Funny how y'note Amazon, when this site sells mahjong stuff too. :wink: :P :mrgreen:
I know, I know. I'll be honest - most of the people I'll teach have Amazon Prime and in the shipping is free anywhere in the USA. The prices are good and the sets tend to get delivered in 1-2 days with tracking numbers. I just don't have enough experience with the RMJ store to know if it stacks up. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for people to get involved. Slighting the RMJ store certainly wasn't the goal.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:56 am

I've been trying to click on those links for hours now... :lol: This is a nice idea and even nicer as it gives me free publicity, thanks.
wavemotion wrote:Thoughts?
To appease my OCD I'd right-align the row headings on the left and add the http prefix to the Amazon address.

You know you can set vanity URL's on Tiny? For example http://tinyurl.com/riichi-guide

Chinese sets are not riichi sets. Perhaps the second heading should be something like Mahjong Tile Sets.

Konami Fight Club should be Mahjong Fight Club; you could add PS3 as a popular platform too.

Also a couple of the closing brackets appear to have grammar checker underlining.

A little visual reference to mahjong would be nice - maybe a little border along the top made up of tiny mahjong tiles? You could shrink the main title a little.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks, Bart. I've made some improvements per your suggestions. I left off PS3 since I wasn't sure it was easy to run an import title on a US PS3.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Lookin' good, but the links still don't work. :x ;)

The PS3 is region-free so you can play retail disc games from any territory. Really hoping the PS4 will be the same...

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Barticle wrote:Lookin' good, but the links still don't work. :x ;)
They won't work on the printed 4x6 index cards either :D

Good to know on the PS3!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Maybe if you had a very cheap supply of iPad Minis...!