Mahjong parlour in Japan for foreigners?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Mahjong parlour in Japan for foreigners?

Post by Gnom » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:05 am

Maybe this thread doesn't belong here, but: I recently moved to Nagoya and am dying to go hit mahjong parlours. Problem is, despite training, my japanese level is probably that of a two years old. My first try at the closest parlour to my house resulted in a long and painful conversation with the owner, to finally understand this simple thing: there are two kind of parlours: those where you can go with your friends and those where you can play with strangers, "free mahjong". Needless to say, this one was of the first kind, too bad cause it looked really nice.

Long story short, in one month of trying, closest I've been to playing is playing a kind of test game and being told (very kindly, though) that my japanese level is not good enough. So: any tricks? English speaking places? Or ways to meet players? Please don't answer "learn japanese" cause I'm already training :mrgreen:

I know it's a long shot, since most people here are not japanese, but who knows? If this thread doesn't belong in this section, please excuse me and let me know.

kostra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Mahjong parlour in Japan for foreigners?

Post by kostra » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:15 am

When I lived in Tokyo, I had the same problem. There are a couple of ways:

- Just start asking all of your Japanese colleagues at work/school if they play mahjong, and if they'd like to play sometime. That worked for me a few times; I even went out with some clients one night.

- Put out an advertisement in the local gai-jin magazine (I assume Nagoya has an equivalent to Tokyo's Metropolis/Tokyo Notice Board). Get four like-minded people together (this will include Japanese who like to interact with foreigners and practice their English while you practice your mahjong) and head out to that free parlor you found!

I got to see some pretty neat places when I played mahjong. My clients (above) took me to this really small place in what looked like an apartment building; it was a converted 1DK apartment; an old lady ran the place with 3 tables, and she just kept serving us tons of beer and kara-age and other snacks. It was fantastic.

Good luck!!

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

Thank you for your advice. As a matter of fact, I kinda already asked all the people I know at least a little if they played mahjong :mrgreen: But I didn't think about this kind of local magazine, I will try this out, and you also gave me the idea to try to place small ads in places people may be interested (english schools, maybe).

And this small parlour you talk about, it kinda seems like the one I mentioned : a small building with an outside staircase and only a small sign that reads "麻雀". There are five tables though, but it does look like a converted apartment, and not only does the 60-ish lady who runs the place seem to really care for her customers, often when I walk this street she is in front of the building watering lots of flowers. Kind of the granny type, in a place that looks really warm :)

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:39 pm

How exactly are you not good enough at Japanese for mahjong? Is it about basic game communication (scores etc) or do you need the ability to respond to arbitrary queries?

If it's just the first, it shouldn't be too hard to learn. I don't know Japanese almost at all, but I know how to speak the score by heart. I recommend you watch some Saki. Then practice online, trying to say your score the moment you win. You're essentially learning the number system with top-class study material. There's less than 40 words to memorize.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 am

The score isn't really a problem. I'm a bit slow but I can count, and I can understand numbers. I think the problem is mostly psychological. Every time I actually played with japanese people that had previously been introduced to me, it went smoothly although we couldn't talk, but I think the problem here is more the stress not to be able to talk IF something happened that required communication.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:12 am

Yesterday my girlfriend offered to go with me, although she can't play very well (still confused about reaching, yakus and stuff). We were given the address to a parlour that was ok with beginners, and we got to play with one staff member and a customer. Pretty stressful so I didn't play too good, but I managed not to lose too much either since I ended up with -6. This game turned out to be worth about ¥500, not too expensive, though in case of bankrupt it would have been about ¥2000... Anyway, very fun and now that they know me I'll probably be able to go back alone :)

gartheee
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by gartheee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I learned on play station though I did also have he benefit of a helpful girlfriend.

Take advantage of the place that allies beginners. You'll get better there and soon be able to move to a place less merciful.

I have been to a LOT if parlors and only 1 in 12 years has refused me because I was foreign

They want you there, so if you can just feign the ability to communicate, you're prolly ok.

Also, unless it's the shadiest of places, they will be watching like hawks to make sure that nobody including you cheats (or makes a mistake).

Kindai mahjong (近代麻雀) is a great magazine/manga for finding respectable parlors too

Enjoy!!

Back to my regularly scheduled trashedness

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey, thanks for the advice! Maybe I should just act more confident. Also, 近代麻雀 is pretty neat, although it takes me a long time to decipher Japanese (things are getting a little bit better each time though)!