how intelligent is "artificial intelligence"?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

how intelligent is "artificial intelligence"?

Post by or2az » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 am

Can you increase your chance of winning in a video game by altering the seating arrangement of the computer opponents based on their individual strengths and characteristics? For instance, in the game PROFESSIONAL MAHJONG KIWAME (see mini-review by WAVEMOTION, under MAHJONG VIDEO GAMES ), it seems that the character "Gempei" is the strongest of the group. He stays concealed most of the time, calls riichi a lot, and scores many high point hands. Most of the games I come in 2nd are due to him. The two kids seem to love open hands, chi-ing and pong-ing all over the place like they are having a party, very loudly i might add, because this app has great voice animation. They are quite annoying. The other players seem to be just regular good players. My first impression is to have the strongest player opposite me, so I don't deal directly into his hand (if he was on my right) and since he would probably avoid dealing into mine (if he was on my left). I would put one of the kids on my left to avoid losing turns due to his or her pong-ing all the time. Naturally, I'm assuming these computer players to be capable of all this stuff and that the game is not just one random haphazard luck of the draw where the computer opponents just fixate on their own hands without any concern as to what i'm doing, or to what each other is doing. I mean, just how intelligent is "artificial intelligence"?
Last edited by or2az on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

artificial intelligence?

Post by or2az » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:00 pm

As a follow-up to the above post, I just played a game on the Mahjong Nagomi App (the regular part), where I had 2 pongs and a chow exposed, another chow in my hand, all comprised of dots, and i was waiting on the 3-dot for the full flush all simples win. Now in real life, no opponent would discard another dot, but the computer did, resulting in a 24,000 point mangan win. This leads me to believe that video game bots only fixate on making their own hands without regard to whats going on in the rest of the game. At least they don't seem to cheat, I think.
Last edited by or2az on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

diddysinatra
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: seating arrangements

Post by diddysinatra » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:15 pm

or2az wrote:This leads me to believe that video game bots only fixate on making their own hands without regard to whats going on in the rest of the game.
Hmph. Well that's lazy of them - there's plenty of incomplete-information (What Riichi Mahjong is) game AI information out there.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: how intelligent is "artificial intelligence"?

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 am

For some time now, I still find myself occasionally thinking about the basic differences between playing mahjong video games and playing against real people. After posting my 1000 game statistical analysis, I noticed some differences and formed my own opinions. After browsing the Mahjong in MAME website (multiple arcade machine emulator), I found what I was thinking, in writing. It reads as follows: "Of course, the similarities between the two are only fundamentally. While video mahjong is similar, it is leagues away from the depth, complexity, and tension found in real mahjong. Playing against AI, who can only follow patterns and guidelines programmed by the makers, can never compare to playing against an actually human opponent, who can think and adjust their game at will. Even so, video mahjong is a deep and very-much intense game, just not as much as its real-life counterpart". I agree completely.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:35 am

I'm amused as to how this AI knows damaten:

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

One great feature of MAME is to save/load memory state at any time, even (and especially) when it's not designed that way in the original arcade machine game.
Thanks to that, I've been able to reverse-engineering few 2-players games, and I've found out they're not even trying to implement an AI but just gives a fixed pattern for the hand deal and tiles' draw with a little cheating script like:
• On the nth discard, NPC declare riichi.
• Four turns later the player draws NPC's winning tile.
• If the player discards it, ron it. If he discard another tile, change NPC's hand and ron it.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world