severely in need of an english translation!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by or2az » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 pm

This is regarding the MAHJONG NAGOMI app. It has a japanese/english button so I have included a japanese ruleset page as well as its english translation.
Problem is, there are more lines of rules (14) in japanese than in english (10). Have no idea whats missing?
Also, there are 2 of them where i'm not quite sure i even understand what the english means?
1) Hand only of shape
2) The high doubles is adopted
Lastly, what does it refer to by " added bonus tiles "? ( havn't seen anything but red, which is a separate rule )
If you are familiar with this app, or can translate japanese, I could use the help. Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 12980 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 12980 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (142.67 KiB) Viewed 12980 times

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:37 am

I'll try my best with the translations, but from the looks of it the English translations provided are pretty horrible.

1. Ato-tzuke is allowed. - Ato-tzuke is the rule that allows you to not have a fixed hand point before you open your (or is it win the?) hand.
2. Kutian (open tanyao) is allowed. (this can be changed)
3. East-Round only. (This can be changed)
4. Kishiki tenpai is allowed. - Not sure on this, possibly it could mean that you can be in tenpai even without a yaku for the purposes of no-ten penalties. EDIT: I asked the staff today at the Mahjong parlour I go to and they confirmed this.
5. Atamehane is in effect. - This means that there is no double Ron, the person closes to the discarder gets the win. (Check Akagi's match vs Washizu for some good examples of how this works. Particularly when Washizu is waiting on his 1 of dots.
6. Triple Ron results in a draw.
7. Kan dora are used. Also they are turned over as soon as the Kan is declared. - Some rulesets state that the new dora indicator is only turned over after the person who declared the kan has discarded.
8. Red Dora are used. (This can be changed)
These next two are kinda weird from a general rules standpoint:
9. In the east rounds the dealer changes if the dealer is in no-ten.
10. In the south rounds if the dealer is in no-ten then the dealer doesn't change.

11. You can't quit after you win. - This mostly applies to situations when you're the last dealer and you're top on points I think. My only experience with this rule is in Japanese and with live people so I'm not 100% sure on the details.
12. Going into the South Round on a East-only game, and going into the West Round in a East-South game is not allowed. (This can be changed) - If this rule is on then if all players are under a set number of points (usually 30,000) at the end of the final round of the game, the game continues into the next wind round.
13. If there are multiple ways to interpret the hand then the highest interpretation is used. - Best example of this is Ryanpeikou (ex 112233 778899 55) where it is also technically a Chi-toi (seven pairs) hand. Under this rule it would always be counted as Ryanpeikou.

* For local Yaku please see the Yaku's description

That's the best I can do. Hopefully it helps a bit. Though I don't really understand 9 and 10 :S
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:43 pm

9 and 10 are just variations of the conditions for renchan (continuances) where the dealer remains as east in the next hand. The conditions will be either a) only when east wins, b) when east wins or has a tenpai hand in a draw or c) when east wins or in any draw (even when dealer is no-ten).

It's not unusual to apply different conditions in the east and south rounds, commonly with the "nanba no-ten" rule (seen above) which uses the second option in the east round and the third in the south.

I guess it's a compromise - it saves time by limiting continuances in the first round but also allows for more drama and reversals of fortune in the second.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Barticle wrote:9 and 10 are just variations of the conditions for renchan (continuances) where the dealer remains as east in the next hand. The conditions will be either a) only when east wins, b) when east wins or has a tenpai hand in a draw or c) when east wins or in any draw (even when dealer is no-ten).

It's not unusual to apply different conditions in the east and south rounds, commonly with the "nanba no-ten" rule (seen above) which uses the second option in the east round and the third in the south.

I guess it's a compromise - it saves time by limiting continuances in the first round but also allows for more drama and reversals of fortune in the second.
True. I just found them weird as the rules I've usually seen played (parlours etc) have them flipped. Renchan in East-only, and no Renchan in East-South.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:27 am

can someone translate this for me?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 12883 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:59 pm

If nobody translates this in around 8 hours or so, I'll do it. Today I'll spend the day with friends and a BBQ. I'll come home and when I do, I'll translate this.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

目次へ:Table Of Contents.

モード選挙動画:Mode Select Screen.

自由対局:Free Game.
ルールや相手を自由に設定・変更して麻雀対局を楽しめます。: You can configure the rules and your oponents freely. You can enjoy a game of mahjong with your own choices.

雀荘破り:Mahjong Defying.
全5軒の雀荘で各店2人の店員と戦い、勝利条件をクリアすると道場破り成功です。: A 5 stage of mahjong parlours in which you play with 2 parlour employees each time. If you claim victory with each condition achieved you´ll success, and pass to fight the next team.

記録帖: Record´s Book.
詳細な記録や麻雀の役の説明を見ることが出来ます。:You can see your detailed records, other info, and see explanations of mahjong yakus.

設定変更:Config Changes.
アプリの設定の変更を行うことが出来ます。:You can change here the application configuration.

More or less, this it. I hope it helps you. :)
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:33 pm

You beat me to it Ignatius!
Ignatius wrote:雀荘破り:Mahjong Defying.
My only comment is that 雀荘 is read as Jansou, which is usually translated into Mahjong Parlour. Also 破り can also mean to destroy or break, as in breaking or destroying a record. eg 記録破りのチーム is record breaking team. There is also the term 道場破り, which is doujo yaburi, which is used to describe the situation (at least in olden times) where a someone would come and challenge the Dojo's Master to combat. If he won then they would usually take the dojo's sign to humiliate them, or something similar. (if you know much about the back story of Zoro from One Piece, if I recall correctly he initially joined his sword dojo as a kid after a failed attempt at dojo breaking.)

So maybe Parlour Destroyer / Breaker might fit better?

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Believe me, it helps. I sure admire your translation ability. I have played over 1500 games on this app since we first corresponded and its still frustrates me not to be able to read and fully understand the hows and whys of the smaller details of this particular game. The "free game" button has 12 screens of japanese and the "mahjong defying" button has 5. Unbelievable!! The "records book" button only has 1. Maybe you can help with that one?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 12867 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Ozball wrote:You beat me to it Ignatius!
Ignatius wrote:雀荘破り:Mahjong Defying.
My only comment is that 雀荘 is read as Jansou, which is usually translated into Mahjong Parlour. Also 破り can also mean to destroy or break, as in breaking or destroying a record. eg 記録破りのチーム is record breaking team. There is also the term 道場破り, which is doujo yaburi, which is used to describe the situation (at least in olden times) where a someone would come and challenge the Dojo's Master to combat. If he won then they would usually take the dojo's sign to humiliate them, or something similar. (if you know much about the back story of Zoro from One Piece, if I recall correctly he initially joined his sword dojo as a kid after a failed attempt at dojo breaking.)

So maybe Parlour Destroyer / Breaker might fit better?
Ozball:

Yeah, I think you´re right. Also it´s cool. I did forget to write the word "parlour" when translating 雀荘, Jansou, mahjong parlour. Thanks for pointing out that miss.
or2az wrote:Believe me, it helps. I sure admire your translation ability. I have played over 1500 games on this app since we first corresponded and its still frustrates me not to be able to read and fully understand the hows and whys of the smaller details of this particular game. The "free game" button has 12 screens of japanese and the "mahjong defying" button has 5. Unbelievable!! The "records book" button only has 1. Maybe you can help with that one?
or2az:

In the Record Book (last sent image) says:

Free Game and Parlour Destroyer modes records will be written and displayed. Winning percentages, calling percentages, riichi declaration times, and the winning yakus will be written down and kept here, the player individual way of playing analysis will be here too.

If you touch the left and right (previous) or (next) you can change between pages.

My translation ability is not so good, it´s just that I have free time, but thanks.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 pm

These 5 screens refer to the "mahjong defying" section talked about above. Basically, it consists of 5 Jansou (mahjong parlors) of 2 rooms each, with each of the 10 characters hosting the games under a variety of rulesets. It would be nice to understand the rest of the details. Can you help?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.2 KiB) Viewed 12844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.45 KiB) Viewed 12844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 12844 times

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm

continued. (special thanks to Ignatius and Ozball for their willing enthusiasm and continued help)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 12844 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 12844 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Man, when I ended the translation, the forum logged me out. I forget to do a copy-paste. Everything got lost. It hurts.

Well, I'll do it again tomorrow and this time I will not forget to do a copy-paste. I swear it.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 am

I help you for first article.

Jansou destoyer : Summary 1
This mode let your mahjong skill up by fighting with mahjong palor staff with fixed rule set and certain victory condition.

You can only select one palor in the beginning, but it will be increased when you compete it.
If you compete all 5 palors,it gonna be "Complete this mode", but there is the rank. You can try again and again to get more better rank.

Jansou destoyer : Summary 2
Each palor has 2 staffs. Please confirm the victory condition and rule set, then you can fight with them by tapping [手合わせを願う] button which is located at staff icon. To complete the palor, you need satisfy the victory condition of both staff.

Jansou destoyer : Reputation
The reputation from A to D will be given depends on how you play. A-C will be given If you satisfy the victory condition, D will be given If you don't satisfy it or if you stop the game.

When you have over 10 games for each, the total reputation which is categorized 5 will be displayed.
Total reputation are [beginner] ->[Trainee]->[Master] ->[Teacher]->[Grand Master]

-------------------
It is bit difficult to translate for 見習い、教士、錬士、範士、師範 straightly . I just broke down easy.
And It is bit strange, 範士(Master) is higher than 教士(Teacher). These name came from Kendo I believe.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I think" Parlour Destroyer Reputation" should be "Parlour Destroyer Evaluation". At least that's what I've read in the image. Also" Total Reputation" should be "Over-all Evaluation Grade". Those grades are weird as you say, Masa, I thought the same.