severely in need of an english translation!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:02 am

I have the game Mahjong Tenkafubu for Android, the one about the japanese warring states, the sengoku era. It's cool to play as famous warlords and all, but it's just an ok game, to teĺl the truth it' not too good. It has zero customization... But I have interest in that history point. That's why I decided to buy it, also it was only 70 cents or so... That price made it decent for me.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Bamf226
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bamf226 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Ignatius wrote:
Bamf226 wrote:Downloaded Mahjong Tengohukai for iOS and am completely lost since I don't know a lick of Japanese. Has anyone created a tutorial for the app?
There's no tutorial, but I wil help. To play this game properly (to be able to play online) you need to create a hangame account. You can start here:

https://member.hangame.co.jp/registration/index.nhn

you'll need to write your e-mail. They will sent you a response. In that mail you have to press the first link.

From this point on you'll enter into the real registration. You'll need a way to write in japanese for one or two points. If you register through PC you'll need a japanese IME, but using a japanese keyboard for smartphone is a better idea if you can change the options to show you only syllables to write.

As I don't remember how was the registration, as I did mine some time ago, I reccomend you to post here a screen capture of the registration form. This way I can help you, and also this will help other people if they want to play it.

Then I'll explain the basics on how to navigate through the game menu.
In nosing around I found a way to connect with Facebook. Does that count as registering?

If I play online, I would prefer playing either 1 or 2 winds (quarter or half game). Can you point me to he proper clickthroughs to make that happen?

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Yes I forgot you can now play connecting to Facebook.
There are three online modes.

MAHJONG TENGOKUHAI MAIN MENU: (MAIN MODES)

Almost every mode has it's own set of rules and separated ranking. You can only set rules on the screw nut symbol of the main menu for only for Free Mode, which is inside Single Play mode. Options that are not rules are visual and sound options which affect a wider group of modes, of course.

Sashiuma Game: サシウマ戦/Sashiuma-sen. Top option with Coins Symbol.

This is the betting mode. Here you bet the game coins called Gold. You play "assisted" by a CPU player against another player with it's own assist CPU. The top option is to change your "combi CPU" pressing the blue wrench button (if you have more than one, you can change between them freely, if not you´re forced to play with the first character). Each one of your assist/combi CPU's gains it's own levels. I suppose those levels makes the CPU help you a little better. Your CPU assist cannot claim a victory (Tsumo or Ron). If they could claim it they'll pass. So if a draw comes, they will be on tenpai. Since update 2.03 you can gain Combi Points and change them for new combi charcters who are very powerful, or so it seems. You can access that going to the wrench button and then pressing the exchange button, which is a person inside a circle done with two arrows. All Combi Characters have two stats, the first is how good are they against Damaten, the second, the same but against Riichi. The third stat, which only those new characters have, is the amount of extra gold and/or jewels (orbs) you obtain in this mode, but only with a hand like a Baiman or higher.

The New Characters you can obtain with Conbi Points are:

Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokugawa Ieyasu, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Newton, Archimedes, Gauss, Athena, Artemis and Afrodite. New ones are Shi huang Di (the first chinese emperor), Alexander and Genghis Khan.

Below that blue wrench button are the rating choices. The top one of those 6 rooms has the lower rating. At the start you have access to 3 of the 6 rating modes. Those games are always 一局戦/Ikkyoku-sen/One Round Only.

When you win, when playing those sashiuma games you can keep playing (to obtain a little bonus of Gold), stop and go back to the sashiuma rating choice screen, or bet and play for a double amount of Gold. If you lose you can keep playing or stop.

Stop option is on the left, keep playing is on the right, and below that one, if you can use the bet x2,you will see the button.

In-game you can recharge a little amount of Gold for free, only 5 times per day or so, 10,000 Gold each time, up to a total of 50,000 Gold. To do so press the lower main menu button with a G inside a circle, and then, press the blue button. After that, if the little amount is not enough, you´ll have to buy Gold with money, you know, micropayments.

You can recieve gifts when connecting to the game. Just enter in the gift box symbol in the main menu. If you have gifts unopened they'll be in blue. Press that blue square, and when oppened choose the right option. To close the message, the left one is to erase the message. Center option is to lock it so you cannot erase it, you can choose again that gift and press the center option to undo this. If you wish to eliminate all those gift messages just press the upper right blue option.

6 rate rooms in the Sashiuma Mode:

ノーマル Normal 1,000 points = 1,000 Gold. This rank is for all, but each of the other ranks has a level you need to meet in order to be able to play in it. Your level varies depending on your Gold winnings or loses.

ミドル Middle 1,000 points = 10,000 Gold. This rank is open at the start, but you could downgrade your level if you loose too much, so, watch out. It's level is 庶民 Common People, The Masses.

アドバンス Advance 1,000 points = 50,000 Gold. This rank is open at the start, but you could downgrade your level if you loose too much, so, watch out. It's level is 平民 Commoner, Plebeian.

スペシャル Special 1,000 points = 250,000 Gold. Open when you reach 一般人 Ordinary Person level.

エキスパート Expat 1,000 points = 1,000,000 Gold. Open when you reach 中流 Middle Class level.

ヘル Hell 1,000 points = 2,000,000 Gold. Open when you reach 金持ち Rich level.

Online Game: オンライン戦/Onrain-sen. Option with East Tile. FREE ONLINE MODE (and rules set, so you cannot change them), without bets.

Here you can choose between:

四人東風戦 4 Player (Yonin) Tonpû-sen/East Only Game.

四人半荘戦 4 Player (Yonin) Hanchan-sen/East-South Game.

三麻東風戦 3 Player (Sanma) Tonpû-sen/East Only Game.

三麻雀半荘戦 3 Player (Sanma) Hanchan-sen/East-South Game.

Keep in mind that Sanma, or 3 Player Mahjong, has it's own rules variations. In fact the last two rules variations on the options menu (screw nut button in the main menu), are on play only during Single Play> Free Mode> Sanma games.

Friend's Game: 友達対戦/Tomodachi Taisen. Red Dragon Tile option.

As long as you have a friend's code and are online, you can play.
It has:

ルームコード入力/Rûmu Kôdo Nyûryoku. Enter room code.

ルーム新規作成 Rûmu Shinki-sakusei. Create new room. When creating a new room you will have to set the rules and all... You have rules as Uma on/off, type of game, being East Only, Hanchan-sen, and it's Sanma versions, and if you want to use Kuitan or not. At least that is as far as I know... You're completely free on that subject.

フレンドルーム検索 Furendo Rûmu Kensaku. Friend's room search.

Also, there's a gray button to search for friends through a list of players.

Single Play: 一人打ち/Hitoriuchi. 1 Pin Tile button.

All those single modes allow you to save and stop playing using the screw nut symbol during game, and choosing the down-center blue option, at it's left you have a restart button. On the right there is an Ok button to go back to game.
Those modes have it's own set of rules except for the Free Mode, of course.

勝ち抜き戦/Kachinuki-sen. Knockout Mode. Here you need to beat all players to unlock them for the free mode. 荘戦/Hanchan-sen/East-South Game.

フリー対戦/Furii Taisen. Free Mode. You can play with the rules you set in the options menu, which is the screw nut button on the main menu, against all your unlocked CPU players.

サバイバル戦/Sabaibaru-sen. Survival. How many rounds can you survive with only 5,000 points? 一局戦/Ikkyoku-sen/One Round Only.

If there´s a tournament you will see an orange 大会 (tournament) button on the bottom-right in the main menu, please refer to: Mahjong Tengokuhai Tournament, post.
Last edited by Ignatius on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Bamf226
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bamf226 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:34 am

Thank you Ignatius for the translation. I'm sorry I didn't reach out to thank you sooner. RL got in the way. If I am playing online with non-English speaking players, is there anything I need to know about that I might not understand?

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:41 pm

When playing I don't think you need anymore. During online games you can send preset messages to the other players. But those are in japanese, so...
If you need help with something else just ask. The game's player's stats are so many I will not try to translate those. I think some of them are already translated.
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 am

Mahjong Tengokuhai just had another update.
need a translation on these. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 14956 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 14956 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.14 KiB) Viewed 14956 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 am

As my cat thought it was cool to wake me up at 6 A.M. o´clock I´m here. She´s in the mating season. She does´nt meow in a annoying way. She does it in a low voice. But she decided to start jumping on my back. :shock: :lol:
When I end with this, I´ll go back to sleep. I hope I´m able to, as I feel super awaken. Truth to be told, the cat is my big brother´s, but I´m taking care of it right now.

Ok, let´s go to the matters.

Those pics are shown just because of they´re in maintenace and you re-downloaded the game, or so I suppose. And during maintenances they cut the connections to the server, so the only way to play is offline.

1st Pic:

メンテナンスでしばらくサービス利用が制限されます。 Due to maintenance the use of this service will be restricted.

閉じる Close    詳細 Details

2nd:

追加のサウンド・画像データをダウンロードする事ができます。ダウンロードしますか? You can dowload additional sound/image data. Will you download it?

キャンセルした場合、再度画面にくるとダウンロードが可能性です。In case you cancel it, you can download it again if you go back to this screen.

いいえ NO    はい YES (In blue.)

3rd:

通信は失敗しました。このままオフラインモードでゲームを始めますか? Communication failed. Would you like to start the game in offline mode only?

いいえ NO    はい YES (In blue.)

P.S: The maintenance is done already.
Also I added on my previous post about Tengokuhai Main Menu, the new extra things. I wrote them in bright red colour.

Bamf226
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bamf226 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:18 pm

In Mahjong Tengohukai, how do you call reach? I've tried every button on the screen and nothing works.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:50 pm

When you are tenpai, that little blue box will appear near the bottom right of the screen. That's the riichi button. Tap it.
Your hand goes grey except for the tiles you can discard, which are highlighted in white.
Double tap your choice and presto, the game goes on auto-pilot.
phpX0Tpj2AM.jpg
phpX0Tpj2AM.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 14924 times
phpylVRXPAM.jpg
phpylVRXPAM.jpg (27.87 KiB) Viewed 14924 times

Bamf226
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Bamf226 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Ahh, guess I wasn't within reach. Must have messed up the hand somewhere

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:03 am

Could anyone please help explain this sentence? The kana in the first half have me puzzled. :?

勝っても負けても1局打ち切るう!

This is the requirement for the first of twenty challenges, so it must be something pretty easy. (I've already completed this stage)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Barticle wrote: 勝っても負けても1局打ち切るう!
I'll translate it as "Winning and loosing and aborting one game" (all at the same time?) or "Abort a game you're winning and loosing", but wait for other translations and don't ask me what it means.
There seems to be some subtlety with the verbs' conjugation, but I realyrealyrealyrealy need to review japanese conjugation to get it.

勝って -> 勝る (まさる): to excel;  to surpass;  to exceed;  to have an edge;  to be superior;  to outrival
負けて -> 負ける (まける): to lose;  to be defeated
打ち切るう -> 打ち切る (うちきる): to stop;  to abort;  to discontinue;  to close
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

mrfeng
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrfeng » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Be it win or lose, abort one game.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Yes, that is the meaning of the ...mo ...mo construction.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Shirluban wrote:
Barticle wrote: 勝っても負けても1局打ち切るう!
I'll translate it as "Winning and loosing and aborting one game" (all at the same time?) or "Abort a game you're winning and loosing", but wait for other translations and don't ask me what it means.
There seems to be some subtlety with the verbs' conjugation, but I realyrealyrealyrealy need to review japanese conjugation to get it.

勝って -> 勝る (まさる): to excel;  to surpass;  to exceed;  to have an edge;  to be superior;  to outrival
負けて -> 負ける (まける): to lose;  to be defeated
打ち切るう -> 打ち切る (うちきる): to stop;  to abort;  to discontinue;  to close
The first verb is 勝つ (かつ) Katsu: to win, to gain victory. Not 勝る (まさる) Masaru.

This verb is the reason some japanese parents give their sons a Kit-Kat before a test, or other important events. Sounds like Kitto Katsu in japanese, きっと勝つ: You'll surely win.