severely in need of an english translation!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Post Reply
User avatar
or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: USA

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by or2az » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 pm

You guys are funny, but doesn't it say at the top of the page between User Control Panel and View your Posts that you have new messages?
I get the e-mail notification but I also notice if the number above is not zero.
Last edited by or2az on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Koi-koi is very hard, just because the cards are images and the combinations are like poems.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm

or2az wrote:You guys are funny, but doesn't it say at the top of the page between User Control Panel and View your Posts that you have new messages?
Yep but I always foget to look there... I´m a true disaster...
or2az wrote:Ignatius,あなたは私が送信したプライベートメッセージをお持ちですか?
(hope i did that correctly)
I think is better if you say: Ignatius, 私の送信したプライベートメッセージを届(とど)けましたか? Sounds more natural in japanese to me. But what you wrote looks gramatically correct to me, or so I think. Keep in mind I´m keep studying japanese, I´m not pro, I could have made mistakes.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

User avatar
Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:55 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ozball » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 am

or2az wrote:You guys are funny, but doesn't it say at the top of the page between User Control Panel and View your Posts that you have new messages?
I get the e-mail notification but I also notice if the number above is not zero.
You can also set it up so that you get a pop-up notification when I have a PM. This is mostly for when I'm on my phone on the forums (90% of the time) where the text size is smaller and I have pop-ups blocked, so if I get a message saying a pop-up was blocked then I know I have a new PM :D
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan


Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Barticle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:26 pm

or2az wrote:You guys are funny, but doesn't it say at the top of the page between User Control Panel and View your Posts that you have new messages?
If you're logged in, yes. I don't auto-login and instead login manually only when I want to post - I can go several days without logging in.

Haven't had an email alert for a PM or a thread reply notification for ages.
Ignatius wrote:Koi-koi is very hard, just because the cards are images and the combinations are like poems.
It's easier to play on computer because the game will usually show you which cards match suits and then track any yaku you make.

In most cases it's fairly easy to see which cards match and you learn to recognise the few special ones; there aren't too many yaku to learn either.

You can play Oicho-Kabu using Hanafuda too and that would be harder as you need to remember the month for each suit (e.g. sakura = 3, wisteria = 4, etc).

User avatar
or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: USA

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by or2az » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:55 am

need some help in translating a few things from a riichi mahjong scoring app before i can discuss it in more detail. Thanks.
Note that the first image is a full page.
The 3rd image is translated as "kihonten" in Barticles Guide (p50) but I need more as it doesn't seem to be the exact same thing as Fu.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.29 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.52 KiB) Viewed 5587 times

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Referee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:12 am

Kihonten means "base points". I think it is fu * 2^(han + 2).

User avatar
or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
Posts: 801
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: USA

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by or2az » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:09 am

That appears to be correct and corresponds to the numbers that I'm looking at. As Barticle states on p.52, "The Base Points (BP) total represents the standard payment made individually by a non-dealer on a Tsumo win by another non-dealer player.", which is naturally, correct. However, his word for Base Points on P.51 is 個分 [kobun (?)], although it does have a question mark after it.

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Barticle » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:54 am

In my guide I have Kihonten listed as Fu because my favourite book uses the term to describe the summed Fu (minipoints) before or after rounding up.

However Wikipedia Japan defines it as Ref said, after the Fu are summed, rounded up and doubled x N.

When I do an update I think I'll give it a separate entry with both definitions.

PS The question mark is for the correct reading (pronunciation) of those kanji in that context.

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:01 am

Barticle wrote:In my guide I have Kihonten listed as Fu because my favourite book uses the term to describe the summed Fu (minipoints) before or after rounding up.

However Wikipedia Japan defines it as Ref said, after the Fu are summed, rounded up and doubled x N.

When I do an update I think I'll give it a separate entry with both definitions.

PS The question mark is for the correct reading (pronunciation) of those kanji in that context.
I´ve searched about the pronunciation for those kanjis with a "?" and is Kobun, I only found that pronunciation. Looks like is an old japanese measure.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:27 am

or2az wrote:need some help in translating a few things from a riichi mahjong scoring app before i can discuss it in more detail. Thanks.
Note that the first image is a full page.
The 3rd image is translated as "kihonten" in Barticles Guide (p50) but I need more as it doesn't seem to be the exact same thing as Fu.
The first image is about some options, the first option is auto sleep mode 動画スリープ. The first option is DO NOT USE しない (with a mark). Below is LET THE APP DECIDE システム設定に従う literally says that the system will follow it´s settings (so maybe you can change those). Also it says: If you choose to NOT USE, the screen will not go to sleep in mid-play which is useful, but take care for you to have enough battery.

Second option is swipe operation スワイプ操作. Selected option is PERMISSION ALLOWED 許可する. The below option is to DENY PERMISSION 許可しない.

Second image says 符計算アシスタント which is Fu Calculation Assistant.

Yeah 基本点 Kihonten are "base points" or "basic points".
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Barticle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 am

Ignatius wrote:I´ve searched about the pronunciation for those kanjis with a "?" and is Kobun, I only found that pronunciation. Looks like is an old japanese measure.
Thanks! I might even remove that question mark in the next edition :)

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:15 pm

Barticle wrote:
Ignatius wrote:I´ve searched about the pronunciation for those kanjis with a "?" and is Kobun, I only found that pronunciation. Looks like is an old japanese measure.
Thanks! I might even remove that question mark in the next edition :)
I think I made a mistake, it´s not an old measure. Yesterday I was sleepy, sorry. When looking today for the way to read it, just to be sure, I think I´ve get what Kobun was, it´s a way to talk about portions and fragments of things, I´ve seen it in mathematical fractions too. I found an example about this with the portions of the different parts of an M size egg. Egg yolk (20 grams 30% of the egg), white of an egg (35 grams 60%), egg shell is only the 10% of the egg.

I think in this case is talking about a portion of the points or something like that. If we think about the base point as a part of something bigger... Maybe that´s the idea, we need those base points to calculate the final given points to lose or gain.

It´s kinda weird.

If I found something new, I'll tell you.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

User avatar
Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder
Posts: 1479
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: Ipswich, UK (and usually 一向聴地獄)
Contact:

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Barticle » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:24 pm

That's fine, it's just the reading that I need.

I'm aware that the second kanji is a traditional measure - it's one minute of time but also a measure of distance, mass, temperature and shoe sizes! It's pretty versatile. :) Specifically it's one tenth of various other units of measurement. However it can also mean 1% (because it's one tenth of 割り (wari) which means 10%!) or one quarter of a Ryou (the pre-Yen currency I'm using in the new RGG game). Also it can generally be any share or ration.

In my book it's represented with a small image of a bundle tied with a ribbon, like a little package or portion. Then for example the dealer gets two "bundles" of points from each of the three opponents on a Tsumo win, etc etc.

User avatar
Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Posts: 631
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Barticle wrote:That's fine, it's just the reading that I need.

I'm aware that the second kanji is a traditional measure - it's one minute of time but also a measure of distance, mass, temperature and shoe sizes! It's pretty versatile. :) Specifically it's one tenth of various other units of measurement. However it can also mean 1% (because it's one tenth of 割り (wari) which means 10%!) or one quarter of a Ryou (the pre-Yen currency I'm using in the new RGG game). Also it can generally be any share or ration.

In my book it's represented with a small image of a bundle tied with a ribbon, like a little package or portion. Then for example the dealer gets two "bundles" of points from each of the three opponents on a Tsumo win, etc etc.


Wow there´s some info I didn´t know, thanks!

Didn´t know about: It´s a measure of distance, mass, temperature and shoe sizes and it can also mean 1% (because it's one tenth of 割り (wari) which means 10%!) or one quarter of a Ryou (the pre-Yen currency). It´s really good to know this.
Last edited by Ignatius on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Post Reply