A question about tenpai?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

A question about tenpai?

Post by or2az » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 am

I have a question about the exact definition of tenpai. Does it mean that you are one tile away from winning or one tile away from having a complete hand, because these two conditions do not seem to be the same thing. For example, Suppose I have the following fictitious hand needing 2 tiles for all simples.
2-dot 3-dot 4-dot 5-dot 8-dot 6-bam 6-bam 6-bam 4-crak 5-crak 6-crak 7-crak 8-crak
Someone discards a 9-crak which I accidentally call and expose the chow. Let's say i thought it was a 3-crak
I discard my 8-dot and become tenpai, waiting for the 2-dot or 5-dot and a share of the 3000 points as the hand now ends in a draw. WHY???
I was not one tile away from winning since I screwed up the hand with the accidental call so why am I entitled to bonus points?
Last edited by or2az on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: A question about tenpai?

Post by Kyuu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:42 am

http://arcturus.su/wiki/Tenpai

You look at that hand, and ask yourself: What do I need to complete that hand? If you don't know what a complete hand is, you made one in your post.
or2az wrote:become tenpai
The hand doesn't become tenpai. It stays at tenpai; your original hand was at tenpai. However, the wait changes.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:07 am

you are correct . i wrote it wrong. fixed it

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

You are tenpai if you are one tile away to have a complete hand, even without any yaku.
Unless you need five identical tiles to complete the hand, or if you suffer from a "dead hand" penalty.

By the way, an one-away-from-complete hand is also one-away-from-winning.
You can still win with the last hand of the wall, or by robbing a kan, or by making a kan yourself and drawing your winning tile.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

gemma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gemma » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:35 am

You can also use the rule for continuances where you don't need to have a yaku and you only need to be tempai to your advantage. If you're dealer for example, you can do some dirty chiing and poning to get a tempai hand and keep your dealership.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:32 pm

I understand now. Even though the tanyao win was unattainable due to the exposed terminal chow, I could still tsumo or ron the 2-dot or 5-dot on the last tile or last discard and win, so technically, every one-away-from-complete hand is one away from winning because you still have that last shot at your winning tile, just with a different yaku, even though this is not very likely to occur.
I guess I am entitled to a share of that 3000 points. Thanks, Shirluban. You too, Gemma.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 pm

But wait a minute! What about if all of the tiles you need to win have already been discarded?
Then it would seem that one-away-from-complete is not the same as one away from winning because here it is impossible to win!
Or am I missing something again? Perhaps you are NOT tenpai in this situation?

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 pm

gemma wrote:If you're dealer for example, you can do some dirty chiing and poning to get a tempai hand and keep your dealership.
I do that. :mrgreen:
or2az wrote:But wait a minute! What about if all of the tiles you need to win have already been discarded?
You're still tenpai.
Ok, in this case you may say you're not one away from winning.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I just found posts on this topic from 2009 in the reach mahjong section under "Oh...wait", which you are probably familiar with, and reading them has helped a lot. I see now that one away from a complete hand is the same as one away from winning, except sometimes, its impossible to get that winning tile.