cheating

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

xDsoul
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

cheating

Post by xDsoul » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 am

Would anyone agree with me that we should enlighten others and entertain the idea of a study about cheating? How to prevent it or identify it. Ofc not on an auto table. For example draw switches or the tsubame gaeshi?

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: cheating

Post by Ozball » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:31 am

Jenn has actually written an article on just this topic recently in World Gaming Magazine: http://www.worldgamingmag.com/en/gaming ... -the-cheat
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:48 am

There is an old thread about cheating, with videos, but unfortunately only two links are still alive.
Also, the dice, which is the main defense against set-up :) http://www.youtube.com/v/hMfPNfWmOEM&hl=ja&fs=1

And here is Sakurai Shouichi, one of the most famous players in Japan, showing a set-up techique
http://www.youtube.com/v/0hbRTf96xr8&hl=ja&fs=1
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xDsoul
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by xDsoul » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:57 pm

Most of the information online about cheating is antiquated. I actually did quite a bit of research on this topic for a chapter in my book, but then chose not to publish it. I worried it would come across as a how-to as opposed to a how-to-spot. I allude to it here.

For starters you said "Ofc not on an automatic table" which I hear all the time which just indicates how naive people are to the technology available to cheaters. It takes no time to quickly install a device commercially manufactured that will allow a cheater to mark tiles with a "gum" on the fly that will guarentee those tiles end up in a specific wall.

Likewise, marking tiles isnt as old fashioned as all the pics online about the useless polarized tiles that used to be in the former mahjong museum. Everyone wears polarized sunglasses anymore, polarized tiles would easily be spotted by a casual observer. The modern cheater wears a single contact lens in one eye that allows him to see dots he applies as he plays, marking any set any time in a way only they can see. The lens is dark, but against a brown iris would be near impossible to spot on casual observation.

I've posted before that tournament organizers should give at least one referee the similar sunglasses which also see the dots the contact lens can see to periodically check the tiles for marks, but to my knowledge, no organization has followed this advice.

Considering the EMA has ousted players in the past for cheating, more could (should) be done to spot them... I can only imagine how easy it would be to be 100,000's of points ahead while cheating with a contact lens in a tourament that isnt watching its tiles.
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

xDsoul
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by xDsoul » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:22 pm

This topic is specific for manual cheating things isolated to just the movements and tiles of one or two people. The point of this is just to emulate the idea of others abilities. The technological advances really isnt that difficult to get into. Honestly what are you going to do if one using an electronic device to cheat in a game. Youd have to identify it first and foremost but the question is how could u counter it. Not much you can do since the walls are automatically built n such thats y I deem auto cheating is irrelevant, in this topic im just trying to portray that it is possible to cheat amongst players n just a peek at what the advantages and disadvantages are. But again I said ofc not autp tables because that was a topic I was specifically avoiding and just focused on games that depend on you building your own wall. Not meaning I was ignorantly putting aside auto tables and saying its not possible im just saying its not the point of this topic.