Oh my god....A double yakuman!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Oh my god....A double yakuman!

Post by or2az » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:05 pm

The game was close. The leader went into south #4 with 32,000 pts and the game was a draw. Everyone was tenpai except the leader so he lost 3000 pts and fell below the target score of 30,000 needed to win. The game extended into the west round. I was still alive! Some time later,......TSUMO.....96,000 Pts...WOW!! What just happened? It looked like only a mixed triple chow. What strange hand did I just get? Went into Barticles guide to search and there it was on page 59.
PARENCHAN- Eight consecutive dealer continuances. A double yakuman (page 31) for a "jaw-dropping" 96,000 pts! My first yakuman that I actually had to work for and I didn't even realize I was doing it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.59 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Oh my god....A double yakuman!

Post by Barticle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:35 am

Very nice, can't remember seeing one of these before.

I wouldn't expect it to necessarily be a double yakuman but I guess it's sufficiently rare to merit that.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Hmm, parenchan. While an optional one, it is not an easy one to get. Either (a) you fail to win a hand and end the streak, (b) someone else ends the streak, or (c) someone runs out of points before getting the opportunity.

Anyways, these three videos inspired me to score one of my own. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... _ESOhoweQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CKrh3Ln1RA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... BTaFle_VU0

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

I understand (b) and (c) but not (a). Doesn't a draw earn the dealer a continuance(renchan)?

EDITED STATEMENT: Doesn't a draw sometimes earn the dealer a continuance(renchan)?
Last edited by or2az on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:34 am

If the dealer has no tenpai in a draw, there´s no renchan (continuance). This is called Tenpai-renchan

Also, if you play with Agari-renchan (Renchan only if you win and you are the East Player), and you do not win, there´s no Renchan.

So a draw doesn´t mean necessarily that you´ll will attain a Renchan.

Congrats for your unbelievable Double Yakuman!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks. I really got a charge out of that one especially since it caught me by surprise.
I understand all that renchan stuff. I was referring to the fact that (b) and (c) would ALWAYS stop the streak but (a) would not.
It depends on the rule set. Sometimes a no-tenpai draw earns a continuance. See Page 47 of Barticles Guide.
Good to hear from you again. Havn't needed much translation lately. Just playin the game.

From Barticles:
Variations of the rules can change the conditions for Renchan. Sometimes the dealer only gets
a continuance if they win and not in a draw, or sometimes they get a continuance on a win or
any draw (regardless of whether their hand was Tenpai or not)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Cool. Whenever you need a translation I´ll try to help.

I´m not playing right now, it´s christmas and all (family stuff)... I ´m an casual player, and I play mostly with videogames, and sometimes online. Truth be told I´m not too good, but I do like this game a lot. Nowadays I´m still wondering why I like so much this game...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.