A Strategy and Scoring question

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

A Strategy and Scoring question

Post by or2az » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 pm

I called riichi and drew a 1-bam for my first SU ANKO, a 32,000 pt tsumo yakuman win. I have a few questions?
1) Should I have called riichi in the first place?
2) If the 1-bam came up as a discard, Should one ever consider passing it up and go for the self-pick?
( In my situation, I dont think so because there is only 1 more available winning tile with 11 left, a 1-dot . )
3) If the answer to the above is "No, forget the yakuman and claim the win", How much would it be worth?
(I came up with 12,000 for SAN ANKO, TOI-TOI, RIICHI, and a DORA. Is that correct? ) also,
4) Does it depend on how bad you need the points or the thrill of getting a yakuman? ( I did get a little thrill )
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.86 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 8404 times

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: A Strategy and Scoring question

Post by Referee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 am

That's correct (except it's spelled San Ankou, and Suu Ankou, but yeah). 12000 with Riichi (16000 if you hit the Ura, which in this case wouldn't have happened). Without Riichi, just 8000 (Toitoi, San Ankou, Dora 1).

I'm not for letting pass a win, unless I really need the points. Reconstructing at the start of your hand: East 17700, South 30700, West 15300, North (you) 36300. Since it's South 2, you're in the lead, and you're not getting another stint as oya, take the haneman to extend your lead and keep progressing the game towards its end.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:59 am

or2az wrote:I called riichi and drew a 1-bam for my first SU ANKO, a 32,000 pt tsumo yakuman win. I have a few questions?
2) If the 1-bam came up as a discard, Should one ever consider passing it up and go for the self-pick?
( In my situation, I dont think so because there is only 1 more available winning tile with 11 left, a 1-dot . )
3) If the answer to the above is "No, forget the yakuman and claim the win", How much would it be worth?
(I came up with 12,000 for SAN ANKO, TOI-TOI, RIICHI, and a DORA. Is that correct? ) also,
4) Does it depend on how bad you need the points or the thrill of getting a yakuman? (I did get a little thrill )
Referee answered basically what I was going to say but will throw my 2 cents in anyways.
1) Yes as it pushes you to haneman if you win by ron.
2) Yes but only if A. You're behind (by more than about 13000 points) and B. Your wait is a little better. Here you're only waiting on two tiles (out of a possible 4 for this hand shape) and passing up a win would mean you're being on the tile not being used in someone else's hand already. (Unlikely in this case, since you can see all of the 2p unless they're waiting on a tanki wait for it) And that it's not in the dead wall.
3) Yep, Haneman is correct. Only Mangan without the reach.
4) How badly you need the points unless you are literally just playing for nothing ie fun and no money or rank. Especially with your wait. It MIGHT be different if it was four tiles going down to three of you passed up the win. Even then I think I'd still take the win if it was anything other than purely social.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 am

Well, there's another problem in that you reached, and then you pass up a win, you become furiten, and the option of ron banishes forever. (Forever until the next hand, that is).

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 am

If won by ron, you get mangan. With riichi, you get haneman at least. Before the tsumo, y'were only about - 2000-3000 pts ahead of second.

Looking at the discards, too bad two of your tiles were discarded. However, seeing how 2-sou were discarded as much, I'm willing to presume that someone might end up throwing a 1-sou eventually anyways.

Too bad ura didn't give anything, not that it matters anyways.

===

At times, not calling riichi may give some kind of "buyer's remorse", where one might think: "Oh, I wish that I called it." Here's one such of a case:

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2014012916gm-0 ... &tw=2&ts=4

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm

or2az wrote:I called riichi and drew a 1-bam for my first SU ANKO, a 32,000 pt tsumo yakuman win. I have a few questions?
4) Does it depend on how bad you need the points or the thrill of getting a yakuman? ( I did get a little thrill )
I'll basically repeat what the other said:
Here, declaring riichi improves significantly your hand value if you ron, you'll not let pass a ron, and you're not gonna change your hand anyway. So, yes, declare riichi.
In this specific situation, you have only two live winning tiles. That doesn't let much chances to win in the first place and a ron rewards alot already, so you'd better ron if you get the chance.
If you had more winning tiles, and/or if the ron outcome worth much less, and/or if you was low on points, and/or if there was a special reward for yakuman, ... you may consider letting pass a win (but I'll rarely advise to do it).
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for all your replies. One more question: The hand above was credited as 50 Fu 40 Han. What exactly does the 40 represent?
A 13+ han non-dealer win is also worth 32,000 pts. Where does that 40 Han com from?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 8358 times

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:27 pm

or2az wrote:Thanks for all your replies. One more question: The hand above was credited as 50 Fu 40 Han. What exactly does the 40 represent?
A 13+ han non-dealer win is also worth 32,000 pts. Where does that 40 Han com from?
Honestly I'm not sure, the following ideas are me completely guessing:

1. It's the max number the game is programmed to allow for the Han value, and since Yakuman is the maximum limit hand it automatically gets the highest value.

2. It's a random number the game developers came up with for a yakuman.

3. This one has a bit more base to it but I can't make it work properly. Sanbaiman literally means three (san) times (bai) Mangan (man), and it's score is three times that of mangan. I remember hearing somewhere that a Yakuman has occasionally (or in the past) been known as Shi/Yon/Sui baiman or four times mangan, and it's score is four times a mangan. So it's possible that the game devs decided that four times mangan needs an appropriate Han value. This is where my theory starts falling apart thin l though. Since four times mangan Han is obviously only 20 Han not 40. So unless the developers decided that yakuman being extra awesome meant it should have double the fourbaiman in terms of Han then I don't think this theory really works.

In short, I have no idea and these were just what I could come up with while half asleep at 7-8:30 on a Friday morning :p
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze