Type of tile that is dora - differences on play style/score?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Type of tile that is dora - differences on play style/score?

Post by Goldeneye » Sun May 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Has anyone noticed that depending on what tile is dora that there are differences in either/both play style or scoring?

This is based on three red fives (one of each suit)...

In my observations through many games, alarms go off quickly if the dora is any of the following - the five of a suit tile, round wind, sangenpai - since the scores likely tend to be higher if there is a win...

Quite often the least valuable dora is that of a terminal tile and to some extent a wind tile that isn't the round wind (and especially if the round wind itself is the dora indicator).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Type of tile that is dora - differences on play style/sc

Post by or2az » Mon May 26, 2014 3:55 am

I'm not sure I understand completely what you are saying. Do you mean that an alarm goes off in your head telling you not to discard a red five if a regular five is the dora, because if you do, and your opponent goes on to win, he will have 2 dora instead of 1. Not only that, if he wins immediately, you will be responsible for the entire payout, and if you are oya, you will pay double.
Same reasoning applies to a round win dora. If it gets claimed and your opponent goes on to win, he will not only have 3 dora, but a yaku as well.
That same alarm goes off in my head too. (so sometimes, you alter your playing style)
As for one dora tile being more valuable than another, i'm not sure I find that to be true, well, maybe dragons, because in order to utilize those dora, you must have more than one (pair/pung), hence, more points.
I have to assume you already know all of this which is why i'm not sure what point you are trying to bring across.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed May 28, 2014 9:16 am

I think he's more referring to the style of play of the hand overall. Ie if it's East 1 and East is dora then people will play slightly more carefully, or are likely to fold more easily, as it's quite easy for someone to get to Mangan with only a triple of East (concealed or called).

Out of the three examples mentioned I think the dragons and round winds, are likely to do this, for the reason I explained in the above example. However I think the 5 of a suit being dora is less so of a perceived threat. Yes it's still a higher threat than other suit tiles because of the ability to get an extra dora from the red, but also they easily can be used in runs, so it's a lot more likely that someone will only have one in their hand or possibly two. While the Winds and the Dragons are more of a threat because they can only be used in either a triple or a pair (though usually as a triple as you get an extra yaku out of it), so if it is in the winning hand then the player has at least 3 han, and quite likely four.

Also I don't agree that a non-round wind will not cause people to play more carefully, since the person who's seat wind that is can still pon it for 4 han and go out on that.
I'd probably rank it between Round Wind/Dragons and 5 of a suit in terms of how cautiously people are likely to play.

One observation I've had in relation to this is that if the round wind or dragon tiles are dora then someone who has a pair of them will try to go out very quickly, especially once they've got their triple. So you're more likely to see an open hand from that person since they already have mangan guaranteed.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:52 am

"What is dora" does not affect my playing style . But "where is dora" affects.
However when I play at palor in Japan, I care Red 5 due to it is directory affected the profit.