can AI get smarter?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

can AI get smarter?

Post by or2az » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:24 pm

I played a lot of mahjong when I wasn't driving during my long trip down south and I must be having an awful streak of bad luck lately because I have just been getting killed by those computer opponents in the Kiwame app. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53059
I have been told that, generally speaking, artificial intelligence can increase in a video game based on the amount of play and level of play involved. Having played over 2500 games on the same app (hopefully at a reasonably good level), my curiosity was aroused if this would be true for mahjong so I tried to look into it. Couldn't find hardly anything on the subject but I did find a difference in the description of the paid version of the app (which I have) compared with the free version. Since the app is totally in japanese, the english translation given was not the best. The last sentence is only in the paid version. What would you say this means and how would that work?
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (54.39 KiB) Viewed 4979 times

Shirluban

Re: can AI get smarter?

Post by Shirluban » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:18 pm

Japanese to broken English to English is not the best way to translate. :P

Anyway, here's my try:
1) You have access to the high-level levels/opponents.
2) You can set up you own home rules. (I guess)
3) The more you play, the better the AI.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: can AI get smarter?

Post by zzo38 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

or2az wrote:I have been told that, generally speaking, artificial intelligence can increase in a video game based on the amount of play and level of play involved.
It can depend on the implementation, if they programmed the AI to get smarter, or not. (Apparently this program has that capability)