Iisō Sanshun

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Iisō Sanshun

Post by or2az » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Got this interesting hand yesterday. I knew San Renkō (Three Consecutive Pungs) was an optional yaku not used in this game so when a 2-dot was discarded, I called chi instead of pon thinking that the chow based hand might be worth something, but it wasn't. All I got was tanyao. Bummer!
phpbq5oisPM.jpg
phpbq5oisPM.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
phpjZfePlPM.jpg
phpjZfePlPM.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Turns out this was also an optional yaku not used in this game and is called Iisō Sanshun (Pure Triple Chow).
In fact, this yaku wasn't even listed in another game which does allow San Renkō even though they seem to be the exact same thing (in a concealed hand). However, I did find it in Barts guide (p.57), and here : http://mahjonginmame.com/yaku.htm
There are a couple of minor differences.
For instance, is it sanshun or sanjun. Or both?
Also, when concealed (and valid, if ever), is it 2 han or 3 han?
(If 222333444 is exactly the same as 234234234 in a concealed hand, why should one be 2 han and the other 3 han?)

One thing is for sure, it's a valid chinese mahjong hand. I guess you can't win 'em all.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Iisō Sanshun

Post by Ignatius » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:06 pm

This yaku, 一色三順 Iisô San Shun can also be called Isshoku San Jun, the name I knew. And it's like a San Ren Kô.

When this kind of combination it's considered as three runs, minjun or whatever you call it, usually has to be menzen, without calls. Some rules allow you to call tiles. Which make it just like the San Ren Kô .
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:01 am

Isshoku Sanjun Pinfu = San Renkou San Ankou. (So, basically, you invoke the Choice Principle of Maximum Score)
I don't recognize neither of those two in my games, anyway.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:24 pm

In terms of optional yaku/yakuman you will encounter the following in a few video-games: open riichi, san/suu renkou, renhou, shiisan puutaa, dai sharin and paa renchan.

It's very rare to see any others - and whenever optional yaku are available there'll usually be a rule option to toggle them on/off that gives a list.

As with all things mahjong, there are exceptions. I've played a couple of titles recently that had some very exotic options but lacked the more common ones above.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Referee wrote:Isshoku Sanjun Pinfu = San Renkou San Ankou. (So, basically, you invoke the Choice Principle of Maximum Score)
I don't recognize neither of those two in my games, anyway.
You could ron on the san renkou and the triplet would be open so no san ankou, so it's not impossible.

But mostly this is a yaku in MCR. There's all sorts of crazy stuff there you could invoke as optional yakus in riichi.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:15 pm

That's correct. Note that the other one doesn't guarantee Pinfu, either. :)