Can a player hide where their discard came from?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Cpoll
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Can a player hide where their discard came from?

Post by Cpoll » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 am

Should other players be able to know whether the discard was drawn from the wall or taken from the hand? Or can the discarding player obfuscate where the discarded tile came from (and where in the hand the drawn tile was placed)?

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Can a player hide where their discard came from?

Post by Gnom » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:59 am

Some players fiddle with the tiles to make it unclear whether they discarded what they just picked up or not, but it's usually not that effective (and can bother the others). Hiding where the tile goes in your hand might be a good idea though, all you have to do is not organize your hand directly, only do it once in a while and during the other players' turn. You can also put probable discards near where your hand is. But don't do it just when you get info from the discard of players as it may in turn give them info. Also, you shouldn't always sort your hand in the same way (some players have a distinct pattern : for example bamboos then circles then characters then honors). Change the order of the suits, if it's from left to right or right to left, etc.

Note that doing all of this is good but will help you only a bit, and only against players who are good enough that they don't keep their eyes on their own hand all the time, so it isn't a priority if you're still struggling with other aspects.

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by ardiel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Also I would say if you do try to do this, do it without hovering over the table and try to avoid using both hands.

If you make it obvious it starts to look shady and could be considered rude.

Cpoll
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Cpoll » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:01 pm

So there're no hard rules about it?

The reason I ask is because a player discarding a draw tells you less than a player discarding something from their hand (which might suggest an ura-suji, etc.)

saitym
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by saitym » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:22 pm

It actually has a specific name and it's called kote-gaeshi (小手返し), you can probably find videos on youtube. It's a technique used to stop people from knowing if you discarded the tile from your hand or if it was in fact a tsumogiri. It is however generally considered bad manners so if your playing against people who you don't know, I don't recommend doing it. it also needs alot of practice i think because I tried doing it but failed miserably.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:52 am

Unless you're a magician you'll need some time to nail that move ;p