honrōtō, not a "simple" hand

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

honrōtō, not a "simple" hand

Post by or2az » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:22 am

This was only the 4th one I ever got in over 3700 games. As we all know, it is worth 4 han, listed separately as 2 and 2, since it is always accompanied by toi-toi. Well, maybe not always, I do believe there is a 7-pair harder version, as if it's not hard enough. This one must be concealed.
However, unlike my 2nd one, which was all terminals with a dragon pung (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52146#p57103), this one was a bit more interesting, but not as exciting, because it happened quick and the tension didn't have time to build up. Still, I was glad to get that winning tile before someone else screamed ron or tsumo at me. My game has great voice animation and I always take that personally.
phplQ22poPM.jpg
phplQ22poPM.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
phpqf3JT2PM.jpg
phpqf3JT2PM.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
Anyway, having 3 wind pungs jolted my memory of something familiar I've seen before, probably in Barts guide. As it turned out, I was thinking about an optional yaku, which I have never seen used anywhere, called otakaze san kō which requires 3 pungs of guest winds and is only possible when your seat wind coincides with the round wind and you get the other 3 winds. Oh, well.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: honrōtō, not a "simple" hand

Post by Referee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:14 am

But what would you have done if you had drawn a Sha?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Is that a rhetorical question? No matter. I'll answer it anyway.

Let's see, if I drew a :west instead, I would need to make a tough choice. Do I keep it, abandon tenpai, pray that I draw another one along with either a 1-dot or a 9-crak, depending on which one I decide to discard, just to get a shot at a shō sū shii yakuman that I've never had before, and might never get again.......or.........do I bite my tongue, toss the :west , and settle for the 1-dot 9-crak wait.

Little Four Winds sounds really nice and there are 53 tiles left.....but.....since it was South 4 and I was sitting in 2nd place with 30,100 pts, I think I would have to stick with the 6 han (+honba) haneman win.

Why (as he sat there crying), did you have to ask me that?

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Being Oorasu you are probably right. But Are you sure you had 30,100? I get 29,500 for your pre-hand score...

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Correct. The honba count was 3, not 1. didn't notice that number 3 in the top left of the 1st picture.