Fast Mahjong

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Fast Mahjong

Post by Krabman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kpjaxxujg

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this style of Mahjong & the guy who came up with it? I've seen a video where that guy (a famous gambler I assume) was telling some background story (I think) but, of course, I didn't understand a thing :D

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Fast Mahjong

Post by Ignatius » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Wow, is so fast, it's boring... Even if that speed it's awesome, doesn't look so enjoyable.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:59 am

The guy grope the video is Shōichi Sakurai (桜井章一). If you research his name on YouTube you'll find mahjong dramas, videos about cheating, etc.

As for this style of mahjong it looks fun! I wouldn't like to play only like that but once in a while I enjoy a fast-paced game (something that's kinda hard to come by around here !) It may be a good training also.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Our Osamuko friend Dasuke has played at Jankikai a bit. Maybe getting him to post would be a good idea.

There are also "rules" that you must play by as well as the lightning speed. Tanki waits are banned aside from yakuman tenpai hands or 7 pairs, for one.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I checked it out and there are some pretty funny rules! A few that come to mind now:
-can't discard a dora except for riichi. There is allowance for one dora if you're doing kokushi (which gives away your plan of course)
-can't declare riichi on a suji trap
-atozuke is allowed only if your outs without yaku are already exhausted
-can't discard a jihai on the first turn except for double riichi
I forgot the rest (or at least it doesn't pop right now), but it looked like something I'd like to try!

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Wow, thanks! I assumed there could be some rules specific to this form of Riichi.

For such games to make sense you need really solid players so that it all doesn't change into chaos :D As of now, there's no way I could keep up with that pace AND play my best.

I think I will try it out at our club someday. We could start with, say 5 sec. limit and cut down gradually. I like some variety from time to time.

I will try to look up some other rules those guys use. It's really interesting!