10,000th forum post

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

10,000th forum post

Post by or2az » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Thought I'd celebrate this occasion with a hand I don't think I've had before, 4 WIND PAIRS. Fortunately, it went along with 3 other pairs of terminal/honors for honitsu, chanta, chiitoitsu, and with riichi dora 2, a nice 10 han dealer baiman of 24,000 pts.
Shānyū rule was in effect, sadon desu (sudden death) was not, but dobon (bankruptcy) was. Hence, the match ended abruptly after a very close hanchan.
windpairs.jpg
windpairs.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 5477 times

Anyway, congratulations to the forum on riichi-ing its 10,000th post! (trophy included)
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 5477 times
trophy.jpg
trophy.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 5477 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: 10,000th forum post

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Well done - both for making such an interesting hand and for spotting the milestone!

That's quite an exotic combo and you won a rare west round with a west tile too. Very nice.

As you might expect, the Japanese have a name for a hand with four wind pairs - it's called 四喜七対子 (Suu Shii Chii Toitsu) and it can be recognized as an optional yaku worth an additional one han (which would've given you the Sanbaiman!) although I've never seen it in use anywhere.

You had Honroutou rather than Chanta because Chanta requires at least one chow. Your hand is a nice example of how you can also make Honroutou with all pairs as well as all pungs. You were also tantalizingly close to making 大七星 (Dai Chisei) which has pairs of all seven winds and dragons. The most perfect hand in the game I think.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

So there's an optional yaku of 4 wind pairs. I have never run across any thing written about it, in English, that is. Saw the page in Japanese that you linked above. Can the other 6 tiles in the hand be 2 sets or does it have to be 3 pairs?

I would guess by the name Suu Shii Chii Toitsu that it must be 7 pairs.
Anything to do with raw fish?

And yes, honroutou, not chanta, an oversight. Glad you were paying attention!
I don't get that yaku very often, especially that way.
php90iKRSPM.jpg
php90iKRSPM.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
edit:made picture smaller
Last edited by or2az on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:37 pm

There are dozens of optional yaku, for example Wikipedia Japan currently lists sixty-four of 'em!

Yes, the usual rule for hand structure applies so you need seven pairs.

The "Suu Shii" uses the same characters as the yakuman hands Little Four Winds and Big Four Winds (but a literal translation from Chinese would be "Four Joys").

I previously made the same pun myself when someone posted this photo on a gaming forum (it's the canal from Dotonbori that appears in some Yakuza games).
dai-sushi.jpg
dai-sushi.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
I said that I wanted Dai Suu Shii (Big Four Winds) not Dai Sushi (big sushi). :)

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59 pm

That ura-dora indicator! Wrong suit. A shame.