Krabman's Tenhou adventures

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Krabman's Tenhou adventures

Post by Krabman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Hey!
Inspired by Mauro, I've decided to make a topic in which I will ask you for opinions on different Tenhou situations. I don't have anything at the moment, so for starters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lht0DfnJ4lY

I now play fast Tonpuusen.

My first recording ever. I've avoided doing that for two reasons:
- I'm not a solid player yet so who'd watch that xD
- I'm not good at talking & playing at the same time

But, here it is. I'll probably do those every Saturday. Lemme know if it's watchable. Any thoughts regarding my playing are also welcome! :)

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Krabman's Tenhou adventures

Post by Mauro » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't play open tanyao, so keep in mind my comments could be off:

About the first game:

East 2/0: You could riichi discarding a safe tile and waiting on 7p 1z; that hand is at least mangan, so maybe I'd have taken the risk.

East 3/1:

When you discard 7m, I think I'd have discarded 2p: 2p is a lone tile, and 7788m could be used for chiitoutsu and iipeiko.

Also, later on you keep South in you hand; I think would have discarded it: toimen is South, but it doesn't seem to me in tenpai, and later on South could be even more dangerous.

In general I don't find you choises to be wrong, so I don't have much to say (but I still have to watch the second game) :D

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Good point about E3-1. I'm wondering if 4s wouldn't be the best discard there.

E2-0 By safe tile you mean 6m? I thought winning that hand was highly unlikely so I favored dama there.

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Krabman wrote:Good point about E3-1. I'm wondering if 4s wouldn't be the best discard there
It depends if you want defend: I'd discard South and go from there.
E2-0 By safe tile you mean 6m? I thought winning that hand was highly unlikely so I favored dama there
But going dama you lose the chance to ron on 7p, which is also dora. It's true it isn't easy to win, but it's so big I wonder if it's worth the risk nevertheless.

I didn't mean safe tile, I wanted to say you could discard the same tile you discarded (9p), so no loss there; not sure why I wrote safe tile.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:29 pm

No problem! I wonder what other players will say.

Yeah I kept that South for too long. The rule of thumb is: either discard a fishy Wind instantly, or keep it to the end. I could've discarded 4s earlier, instead of 78m. This could've been Junchan, Ippeiko with a bit of luck.

DdR_Dan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by DdR_Dan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:59 am

Oh no, I missed it~ is it gone now?

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah, sorry. I decided that there were too many mistakes in my playing & commentary... I will share another link as soon as I have a new video :) Thanks for your interest!

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:44 pm

WWYD?
Attachments
Zdjątko008.jpg
Zdjątko008.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 12331 times

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:23 pm

I would toss the white dragon. East already discarded one. Odds are it will pass with 43 tiles left, plus 14 in the dead wall.
If you're thinking of getting little or big three dragons, you could toss the 6 crack, but I would think someone at that table is noticing that there are no reds out yet and you have the greens. Might be tough to get. Might not.

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:37 pm

Same as or2az: 6 crak or white dragon; maybe 6 crak, since it's a middle tile and it's near dora, so later on could be a dangerous discard, and white dragon could lead to little three dragons; but if you had to pon red dragon I think would be quite unlikely to have it. Still, as discard later on I think it's safer white dragon that 6 crak, so I think I'd discard crak.

DdR_Dan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by DdR_Dan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 am

I agree with the discard choices, 6-crak or white-dra , so the only thing to go over is your reasoning. I don't think 6m is usually dangerous right now, so I wouldn't hold on to it for that reason, unless you're really worried about playing into a dealer hand and getting last, but the only problem is that you might have to win to avoid last, and you might have to discard 6m to win. I wouldn't hold on to 6m for using 5m dora either because the extra points probably wouldn't change your final place. Holding white dragon for shousangen chance is good as it's probably the only good shot you have at first. Holding white dragon as a future safe tile is good here in my opinion.

I guess with that reasoning I'd discard 6m. Even if it so happens that in this case, someone is in tenpai and wins off 6m and you get last, I think discarding 6m is generally fine here. 6m isn't too bad because dealer discarded 3m and then 5m.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I went with 6m and dealt to Oya 11 600 :D Even though he discarded that Dora, he still had a pair of 5m, one of them being red xD His wait was 69m. Yeah, I wanted to keep that Haku for Sho Sangen/defense.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:02 pm

New Tenhou video is up! No talking, no music, just Mahjong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYZ-nqNZQ4

E1-2
I'm not sure if going for Ittsuu was the optimal choice. I sacrificed 5p and later on 1m which would've allowed me to steal Yakuhai

E4-1
I was aiming for a better tenpai by leaving that Souzu shape, but I'm not sure if going back to 2-shanten was a good choice.

Those are the two main things I wanted to ask you about. If you notice anything else, please lemme know :)