okkake riichi

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

okkake riichi

Post by or2az » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 pm

Okkake Riichi. Not much written on the forum relating to this. After having the situation come up more than usual recently, I was curious as to what conditions one would call riichi immediately after an opponent calls it. I would assume the point situation has a lot to do with the decision, how many points you need to win, or get out of 4th place, but are there other factors to be considered?
What if you're in the east round of a hanchan, the game is close, and there's lots of time left. Do you follow-up the riichi?
Should your wait have a minimum number of total tiles (or different tiles) to go for it, or is a simple ryanmen wait sufficient?
It would seem that you would want the odds of the 1st riichi caller dealing into you to be better than your odds of dealing into him (or any of the other opponents for that matter). I seem to recall a saki character with this power, which unfortunately, I don't have. I have to rely a bit on something called luck.
Any thoughts?

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Ignatius
phprDBBuLPM.jpg
phprDBBuLPM.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 4924 times

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: okkake riichi

Post by Krabman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:45 am

I think the most important factor is your wait. If it's a ryanmen with most tiles available, go for it. If you're waiting on a genbutsu of the first Riichi - it's even better.

If you have no safe tiles/suji, you may attack regardless of the wait, I think. I guess it also depends on your style - whether you're more defensive or aggressive.

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgTNckNg5M

I don't know the exact ruleset and point system for that game but I it's a pretty interesting case.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:01 am

It seems to me the biggest aspect is the psychological impact. After all, there is almost no situation where the gain of declaring riichi overweights the possible risk (except some special cases where you definitely need points/renchan and don't have a yaku). The 2 other players will have a stronger reason to fold, so if it's a bit late toward the game, you may be hoping for a ryuukyoku (although a tsumo is pretty nice too of course). Lose or win, it sends a message to the other players (although that's probably weaker in online play).

Another aspect is to let know the others you're tenpai so that they might choose to deal-in (sashikomi). If your hand doesn't look that expensive, and you're not the dealer, players who have a sufficiently advanced level to make these calculations may discard a tile that could make you win if they run out of safe tiles. That's only for specific situations but it may happen.
Last edited by Gnom on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:55 pm

or2az wrote: Oh, and Happy Birthday, Ignatius
phprDBBuLPM.jpg
Thanks!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.