Suu Ankou: Should I Try?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Suu Ankou: Should I Try?

Post by or2az » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 pm

Glad I wasn't on the clock for this one. Here's the situation.
It's East 4 of hanchan. Dora is 5-dot. I'm barely in 2nd, quite a ways from 1st. There are 35 tiles left and practically no bams on the table. Also have an isolated 5-crak-red getting more dangerous the longer I hold it.
Then I drew the 8-bam . What would you do now?
phpMPuOHxAM.jpg
phpMPuOHxAM.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 9443 times

ardiel
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Suu Ankou: Should I Try?

Post by ardiel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:34 am

I'd chuck the 5-crak-red and go for it but I'm a crazy gambler and half psychic that likes to win big hands so you probably shouldn't listen to me. Or at least take a lot of salt with it.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:33 am

Considering the pond, there is only one 5 remaining so only the next player can take it, and he obviously doesn't want it since he already has discarded two of them.
Unless, of course, if someone rons it:
• North is furiten.
• East has discarded 2 and 8. Either he's furiten, or waiting for something else, or insanely put himself on a hell wait for an (aka)dora.
• South has more lee-way, but waiting on the pair or _67_ is still unlikely (three 7 are already out). However, he could well be waiting on _34_.

In conclusion, I'll discard 5-crak-red .
It's not exactly safe, but it's a calculated risk.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Logical. Toss the 5-crak-red. I am now tenpai waiting on the 5-bam 8-bam. If I draw either of them, do I pass on the win since even a direct hit mangan is not going to get me to 1st with that point spread. Need more, but there is still another round to play.
Should I consider riichi and take that win (have 3 dora already) to narrow the gap to 1st?
(or continue to try for the yakuman, perhaps settle for San Ankou, Toi-Toi)
WWYD?

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:45 pm

With south left to play, take the win if you tsumo. A yakuman is always nice but your hand isn't exactly small as it is. If you tsumo it you're in range for a 1st place with a mangan, and you're not in position to immediately loose a rank either.

I'd riichi if it's a game that counts and it's a normal situation, I'd dama if the game isn't important (for the chance for a yakuman), or if the context made me need a lot of points (do or die kind of situation: say I'm pretty late in a tournament, the opportunity to score a lot could put me back on track regardless of my situation in the current game).

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Suuankou is too easy; and to poise yourself in the best position for it, yes, you will have to drop the aka 5-man.

Just like yours, here's a case of mine, which actually had iipeikou. Naturally, I declined it, until I produced ankou with one of the iipeikou parts.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2016021914gm-0 ... &tw=3&ts=7

For your case, 5-pin, 6-sou, and 7-sou are all live. So, you have a fairly decent chance at drawing one of them yourself to put you into tenpai. Even if you ron someone with it, you still get mangan for it.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 am

Suuankou is too easy
http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2016021914gm-0 ... &tw=3&ts=7
Well, it's not that easy, but that was a really great hand and those draws were quite favorable to you.
Early in the hand, you drew the 5-crak , and discarded the 6-dot as opposed to the 2-dot .
Next turn, you drew the 3-dot, and discarded the 5-crak as opposed to the 2-dot .
It didn't matter, since you got rid of all 3 anyway, but I am curious as to how you arrived at the order in which you discarded them.
Must have been nerve-wracking during those 5 turns after riichi.
Again, nice hand, I've only had one of those.
http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... kou#p56935

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:15 pm

or2az wrote: Well, it's not that easy, but that was a really great hand and those draws were quite favorable to you.
Early in the hand, you drew the 5-crak , and discarded the 6-dot as opposed to the 2-dot .
Next turn, you drew the 3-dot, and discarded the 5-crak as opposed to the 2-dot .
It didn't matter, since you got rid of all 3 anyway, but I am curious as to how you arrived at the order in which you discarded them.
Must have been nerve-wracking during those 5 turns after riichi.

Again, nice hand, I've only had one of those.
http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... kou#p56935
Looking back, I should have tsumogiri the 5-man, considering how I got rid of 6-man in favor of the 3-man to set up a possible iipeikou. Though, in essence, I was looking more towards chiitoitsu. Had I drawn 4-pin or 7-pin, then I shot myself in the foot. Now, when I produced 3-pin ankou, I've seen this before where a chiitoitsu attempt could possibly produce a suuankou. Or at the very least, toitoi sanankou. In fact, I had done the same exact thing in New York, months prior. When the 2-man became ankou, that's when I really had to choose which pair to split, and naturally ended up discarding the 9-pin in favor of both tanyao and quantity with one of them discarded by toimen.