Custom Rule of the Day: Three Years on the Stone

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Custom Rule of the Day: Three Years on the Stone

Post by Barticle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

hisa3.jpg
hisa3.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 4331 times
Hisa and I are reviving this occasional series from many years ago!

The Mahjong Soul online game recently launched a "Local Yaku" event with some exotic non-standard Yaku and Yakuman (see list).

Most were familiar to me but it took a little while to track down this one.

Ishinoue Nimo Sannen (石の上にも三年) is a Yakuman awarded for declaring (double) Riichi on your first discard and then finally declaring a win on the final tile of the hand (Haitei/Hōtei).

The name is also an idiom in Japanese. "Three years on the stone" - if you sit on a cold stone for three years, it will get warm. Perseverance is rewarded eventually.

It's a very appropriate name for this rare scoring combo. :)

Of course really I just wanted to post this cute pic with the phrase inscribed and the principle demonstrated!
doge.jpg
doge.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 4331 times

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Custom Rule of the Day: Three Years on the Stone

Post by Ozball » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 am

I actually went and looked up all the local yaku as well (before we actually had the in game so was flying very blind), and found this site VERY useful https://www29.atwiki.jp/mahjlocal/ (all in Japanese unfortunately). Three Years on the Stone was the only one I couldn't find on places like Japanese Wikipedia, but that site seems to have them all.

Out of the Mahjong Soul local yaku list, I also found Shiiaruraotai to be interesting... winning with a hadaka tanki (naked tanki) wait, which just seems like an odd situation to reward.

I'm also curious as to why they decided to translate some of the Yaku (Three Consecutive Triplets, Numerous Neighbours), but not others (Shiiaruraotai, Ishinouenimosannen/Three Years on the Stone) :?
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 am

This trivia about Yaku was really cool.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:20 am

Ozball wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 am
I [...] and found this site VERY useful https://www29.atwiki.jp/mahjlocal/
Yes, Google has led me to the MJ Local Rule Wiki many times. Very handy for this stuff.
Ozball wrote: I also found Shiiaruraotai to be interesting... winning with a hadaka tanki (naked tanki) wait, which just seems like an odd situation to reward.
Kinkei Dokuritsu (金鶏独立) would've been more interesting - winning on a Hadaka Tanki specifically with 1s (and worth Mangan).
Ozball wrote: I'm also curious as to why they decided to translate some of the Yaku (Three Consecutive Triplets, Numerous Neighbours), but not others (Shiiaruraotai, Ishinouenimosannen/Three Years on the Stone) :?
I thought that too. Also Dai Sharin is 'Big Wheels' but the other two similar hands don't say 'Big' even though their Japanese names start with Dai too.